38- we had a deal

Start from the beginning

"You mean threatening our lives and keeping my brother hostage for over a year?" Tyler spat. "Yeah, some family you are." 

"I should have killed you when I had the chance." I muttered. Before any of them could respond, Mariah jumped in as the mediator.

"Can we just get this over with please?"

Mark grunted in frustration. "Fine. Give them to me." He ordered as he impatiently held out a hand. Mariah grabbed the jewelry from the table and handed them to her boss, who looked at them briefly before handing them to Mr. Mole. The unidentified man put them in a bag before placing it beside the door. Then he stood back with his companions and wore a hard expression, one that told me that this meeting was going exactly where I thought it would.

"You can't just leave the family business, Tyler." Mark warned. "Once you're in, you're in for life."

"We had a deal." Tyler reminded him.

"You and your father keep thinking that there's a way out but there really isn't." Mark growled. "If we have to force you to work with us, so be it. At least now we have another recruit." His dark eyes then found mine, making me flinch.

"I'm done working for you and you sure as hell aren't going anywhere near her." 

Mark started to walk around the couch with Paul right beside him. Mariah and Mr. Mole stayed where they were, blocking off any chance we had of running out the door. "Why not?" Mark snarled. "We have some unfinished business to take care of. Don't we, Aly?"

He knew my name. How did he find out?

Tyler and I stood close together as they closed in on us, both of us preparing for a fight.

"Don't make me beat you a second time, asshole." I challenged, making sure to stand my ground even as the distance between us was shrinking.

Tyler moved his body in front of mine as Mark held out a gun, not hesitating to knock it out of Mark's hand before delivering a punch to his nose. It all turned to chaos as Tyler then tried to finish him off with Paul jumping in to his brother's rescue. I stepped forward to help Tyler when a hand reached at me from behind, grabbing tightly onto my arm and pulling me backwards. I stumbled before quickly regaining my balance, and I yanked away my forearm free while turning to my attacker.

"If I can't have him you can't either." Mariah growled as she lunged at me. I threw my hands out to shove her backwards, thankful that my previously sprained wrist was now healed. I used my forearm to block a couple of punches, and it didn't take me long to realize how unskilled she was. 

I let her attempt an attack three times before finally delivering one of my own: a hard fist right into her perfect little mouth, knocking her to the ground. 

"Out of my way bitch." I growled before turning to Mr. Mole. He was just about to throw a punch when I heard the front door slam open. The commotion was loud enough to stop all of our movements, each of us turning to the new threat.

"Everyone get down on the ground!"

Tearing my eyes away from the police officer that was now in the doorway, I saw Mark picking up the gun from off of the ground. 

I noticed the intense concentration in Mark's eyes as he focused on his target. I watched his thick finger pull back the trigger, causing a loud crack to pierce the air as the bullet left the chamber. 

Screams filled the air as a body crumbled to the ground, with blood pouring out of his chest.

I remember lunging towards him as soon as he was hit, my hands flying to his injury as bullets flew around us. I remember tears falling from my eyes while I put pressure on the wound, begging him to stay awake. There was so much blood that my hands were drowning in it, but I was too determined to save his life to care. 

The image that stuck in my mind the most was the vacant look in Tyler's eyes as the cops pulled me off of him, my body flailing as they dragged me away from his body. 

I've begun to notice that the guys in my books are never safe. What do you think about what just happened?