Chapter 21

Midorima's P.O.V

I covered Akashi with a blanket the best I could, then took a seat on the couch in the far corner of the darkened room and watched the two brothers sleep.
Akashi on the chair next to the bed, dark circles under his eyes.
Kuroko slept on the hospital bed, his head and wrists wrapped in bandages, machines and wires on his arms.

Father said that Kuroko's injuries were healing well and all we have to do now is wait until he wakes up.
“Ngh...” Well nevermind...
Seeing the shadow move, I rushed to his side, careful not to disturb Akashi and the wires on him.
“Kuroko.” I called, but it seems that he didn't hear me for he didn't answer.  His pale hands gripped the sheets tightly, sweat dripped down his face while his lips trembled. “Kuroko, hey?” Finally, his teal eyes opened, darting around in different directions before landing on me.

I thought he'd spurt out some nonesense, greeting or ask where he was, but what I never expected was for his reaction to be pure panic; his eyes went wide, in a blur his body moved in a sitting position, making all the wires attached to him detach themselves. Had I not stopped him, he would've gotten off the bed as well. “Oi, Kuroko!” I called, gaining his attention as his breathing became uneven.
“Midorima-kun, let go of me, please.” He muttered, pale hands gripping mine on his shoulder.
“As if, baka!” I yelled, forgeting all about Akashi sleeping just behind me, holding him firmly. “You're hurt, nanodayo!”

Finally settling down, he stared at his bandaged wrists and felt his head.
“I'm not.” He said.
“What?” I honestly didn't understand. He sighed, gripping the bedsheets tighter.
“I-I'm not that hurt…” came his weak response in a trembling voice that seemed to quiver it's way to emptiness.
Scoffing, I pushed my glasses up, glaring daggers at his lowered head.
“Of course not,” I said. “Since you had time to heal over the week.”
I watched as his head snapped back at my direction, his eyes wide with pure terror, before they closed and a ghost of a smile made it's way on his face. “Please do not joke like that Midorima-kun.” His voice seemed to almost beg me. But I wasn't joking…

“I'm not joking, Kuroko.” I answered his silent questions, my tone softer than before, it wouldn't do any good for him to be yelled at, after all. “Your injury was so bad that you experienced a mini coma. We even had to give you blood to replace the lost blood.”
His eyes watered a bit, hands as white as the sheets he was gripping and breathing barely there.
I sighed once more.
“You've been out for eight days, Kuroko.”
The more I looked at him, the more he trembled.

I knew why he was like that. Akashi gave me a brief explanation that night. He was worried about paying rent.
I wanted to yell at him, shake him until he came to his senses. He almost lost his life, damn it! He should be thankful that Aomine found him, thankful that he's alive, not worry about rent!
“Oi, Kuroko!” I started to say, but was interrupted as a hand fell on his clenched fist, just moments later, the owner called his name.
Tetsuya.” The red haired called, gaining the shadow's attention. It might've been my imagination, but he flinched slightly and squirmed away from his intense gaze. I looked at Akashi, who now stood next to me beside Kuroko's bed, silently nodding at the glance directed my way.

“I'll go tell my father you're awake.” I told the bluenette and left the room.
Once outside, I texted my father the news, leaning against the door so I could hear what the two inside were saying.
I know, it wasn't any of my business but for once, I wanted- no, I longed to know how I could help my friends… ahem…
Teammates

Well… soon to be former teammates.

And I was only doing it as a last favour!

Aaand, I'm out!