Act One

Jungkook was clutching at his sides as he limps through the street. He kept his gaze down, shying away from anyone that he crosses path with. He doesn't want anybody to see, to know what happened to him – even though it should be obvious to anyone who paid enough attention.

He knows he shouldn't be weak. His father was strong and so was his mother – they're both such independent, strong people, and Jungkook wishes he could be more like them, because he's their child, and he should be more like them, but he's not. And the truth of it stings more than he'd like to admit.

When Jungkook got home, he almost cried at the reminder that he didn't bought his mother a cake and had to pretend that he forgot about his mother's birthday altogether so that he could run up to his room as quickly as possible and avoid having his bruises seen.

His father seemed upset about it. The man knocked on Jungkook's locked doors a couple dozen times and sounded firm when he told Jungkook to come down for dinner and wish his mother a happy birthday. And Jungkook, blinking through tears, shouted that he doesn't want to, even though it's all he'd been wanting to do for the entire week.

"Jungkook, stop being immature, today is your mother's birthday."

And he doesn't know what to say, he doesn't – because he's not good at lying, and he doesn't know how to make his father understand without having his pride pummeled down to the ground. So he says, "I don't care!" – even though he does. "Go away!"

He could hear his father sigh from the other side. The man had always been that; kind and patient. He would never give into his rage and barge into Jungkook's room with sheer brute strength to give his son a piece of mind– instead, he'd try to understand and would attempt to talk it out on a later time. Jungkook's ashamed to say that he's taken advantage of his father's kind attitude for more times than he could count, yet at the same time, it wasn't like he could do much.

And then time passes. Slowly, painfully, but certainly.

Jungkook's parents, being the kind understanding people that they were, leaves him alone as requested, whilst Jungkook kept wallowing in self pity. Truth be told, he doesn't know what he'd do when he faces Taehyung the next day, except that he's going to have to endure whatever hell would come his way.

But that's not what he wanted to do, that's not how he wanted to face his problems; by surrendering to it and let it ruin him – no. Yet at the same time, he doesn't know what else he was supposed to do.

And he's got a feeling he never will know what to do either.

///

This chapter is kinda boring, isn't it? :')

Don't worry, things'll spice up in a bit.