Chapter 4: Camp Rikoya

The drive to the campsite was 5 hours. I was just ready to get on the bus and sleep my way there.

"Everyone, please wait to be seated on the bus. We will be sitting in alphabetical order just so I know I didn't miss anyone." Mr. Jenkins announced.

Shit, I thought to myself. Either I will be sitting by Cameron or by that really weird Evan kid who plays with Pokemon trading cards still.

I patiently waited until Mr. Jenkins got to the W's.

"Cameron Wellington. Mckenzie West. Evan Wiley. Chris-" I walked onto the bus following Cam. Everyone had already filled in to nearly the front of the bus.

My seat was next to Cam. The weird Evan kid ended up being in the row in front of us thankfully. But on the other hand this ride was still going to be awkward as hell.

I turned around to look at the back of the bus to search for a blonde, blue eyed boy. When my eyes found his, he smiled. Knowing Luke was going on this trip made me feel a lot better. I wasn't good at making friends. He was my only true friend. When I first moved in with Liz I spent a lot of time at the neighborhood park. Luke was there too. He would keep me distracted and even make me smile and laugh. He was my safety, my anchor.

An hour had passed and I couldn't sleep. I looked around to see most of my classmates were sound asleep or listening to music.

"Cameron." I gained the courage to say. He was looking out the window. He didn't turn to look at me.

"What." He said sternly.

I took a big breath. "I'm really sorry for what I said in the car. I didn't mean it. It's not true. I was just -"

"Do me a favor, Mckenzie?" He turned to face me. I nodded my head. "Don't talk to me on this trip. I don't know you and you don't know me."

"But, Cam" I began but he already stuck his headphones in his ears.

******

"Welcome to Camp Rikoya! Let's get your tents set up now so we won't have to worry about it later tonight. " Mr. Jenkins announced once we got to the camp site.

I had never set up a tent before. I struggled to get the stick things in the right shape. That's how your suppose to start it right?

Luke came over grinning. "Having fun?"

"Enjoying the show?" I said as a wire stick thing hit me in the head. "Shit!"

He began to laugh. "Here I'll do it."

Once Luke got my tent set up I organized all of my things inside of it. I get really frustrated if things aren't in a proper area.

*****

I hate the woods. I hate nature. I hate bugs. I thought as I swung my had trying to get the pests away from my face.

Mr. Jenkins called a few of us to go with him into the woods and gather firewood. Of course he would call on me to help. I tried to just keep up with the group and not get in anyone's way. I felt something on my leg. It was a large, hairy, nasty "AHHHH!" I screamed.

"You alright back there Miss. West?" Mr. Jenkins called out.

But I just shut my eyes and began to jump up and down and kept screaming.

"Hold still. I can't take it off if you keep jumping." I hear Cameron's voice. "He holds up the creature, "it's just a spider."

We continue down the path and I see in the distance what appears to be a deer. I slowly walk towards it. All I want is one picture.

I begin to pull my camera out of my backpack. I kept walking towards the beautiful animal. When suddenly..

_______________

Sorry this chapter was short I wanted to leave a build up for the next one! :)