Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Beaumont University," Clara muttered as she gazed around the campus she was sentenced to. For the next four years, she would be imprisoned amongst spoiled students who thought they were attending the next Ivy League school. But one day, it will all count for something, she reminded herself, swinging her loaded backpack over her shoulder. She pulled on her brown ponytail, saving it from becoming trapped beneath the strap. Her suitcase rested against a single cardboard box beside her. All of her worldly possessions wrapped up in a few small packages.

"Are you sure you don't want any help bringing your stuff to the dorms?" her father, Gorge Wright, asked. Concern filled his eyes, their warm brown hue the perfect reflection of her own. The poor man's hair had started to gray ever since his middle child boasted about wanting to attend the largest universities far from their little town of Kleinbrook. If only she were at one of those campuses instead.

"I can handle it. I want to walk the campus, and I know you have to get to work," Clara said, pausing to send a teasing glare toward her little sister, "and Harper to school."

Harper bounced with excitement, her long blonde hair mimicking her moves. Her smile beamed with the satisfaction of sweet talking their father into letting her skip her first few high school classes to see Clara off.

"How could I miss it?" Harper asked before pulling Clara into a tight hug. They were less than two years apart, and yet conjoined twins didn't share the bond that Clara and Harper had. "Now, don't forget to call. I want to know everything!"

Clara smiled and embraced her sister. "I'll call whenever I get a chance, okay?"

"Well, you'll have no excuses once I talk Papa into coming out of the Stone Age and getting high-speed Internet."

"Good luck," Clara said with a laugh.

"All right." Mr. Wright huffed and fussed before holding out his arms for his goodbye hug. "I'll see what I can do, but until then, study hard, make friends, and for goodness sakes, take a little time and make some memories of your own."

"I promise ... to try," Clara said with a cheeky smile.

Her father's eyes rose to the sky in defeat. Books were Clara's escape from the world. She could spend hours in the pages of a new adventure. Gorge lost count of how many times he had to tear her away from a novel and force her to join the family for dinner. In Clara's defense, the most exciting thing about Kleinbrook was its library. Sure, the little town was beautiful with its Germanic architecture, but Clara wanted more than the humdrum life it offered. She was sure Beaumont University wouldn't be any different. Another little town filled with the same faces doing the same tiresome things. Where was the excitement? The adventure?

Harper pulled her into one last hug and whispered, "Do me a favor and go to at least one college party, will ya?"

"You think they actually have parties here?" Clara asked, keeping her voice low and teasing.

Ignoring her, Harper added, "You know mom would have wanted you to enjoy it."

Harper pulled away, meeting Clara's brown-eyed glare. It was an unfair card she played. Harper knew it and yet Clara was unable to say anything without their father hearing. Instead, she sent a death glare flying towards her favorite sister until Gorge pulled them all into one last hug before saying their goodbyes.

Clara waved and watched as their little car drove out of view. Pinning her box against her side, she took the first step toward her future. The suitcase rolled behind her as she walked the campus of Beaumont in a daze. Students scurried along the brick paths, boxes and luggage stacked in their hands. She could tell who the freshmen were from their starry-eyed gazes.