Chapter 6

Clara waltzed into her dorm room as if she were dancing on clouds. She felt like she was the queen of the campus. She could finally save up some money to help her father get out of debt. Ever since her mother Mary became ill, the family finances had fallen into a rather large hole. It did not matter how many pennies they poured into new medicines. Nothing could defeat her mother's leukemia. With the loan sharks nipping at Gorge Wright's ankles, Clarabelle knew her only chance to help her father was by attending Beaumont University on a full scholarship.

"And why do you look so happy?" Rose asked the moment she noticed Clara's chipper mood.

"No reason."

"Liar. Something put that huge smile on your face, and I doubt it had anything to do with class. Unless it involved a cute guy in your class. Did it? Oh please tell me it did!"

"It did, but not for the reasons you think. I swear you have such a one track mind!" Clara teased. "Adam just hired me as his tutor."

"Uh-oh."

"Hey, I told you it's not what you think."

"Uh-huh." Rose didn't seem convinced. With a wicked smile, she said, "I didn't think you were the type to take sexual favors."

Clara sent the nearest pillow flying through the air at her. "I did not! This is going to be actual cash for actual tutoring!"

"I hope so," Rose muttered. "Just don't let him get away with anything, okay?"

"Of course not."

Clara knew exactly what Rose was getting at. Neither of them was happy with the reputation he made for himself, especially after the way he targeted Clara at the party. Still, Clara had no reason to be jealous towards anyone Adam brought around. The football game was merely a small slip of her character. She wasn't the type of girl to lose her mind over a guy. When they were at the party, Clara gave into the silly notion that Adam wanted her for more than her looks. She jumped ahead to the idea of dating him long before he even showed interest in commitment, and all because she fell in love with the possibilities life opened up to her. She wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Regardless, Clara could still be friends with him. It would be easier now that she knew his intentions. In a strange way, she envied his freedom. He would never know the fear of becoming a disappointment. Clara, on the other hand, was exhausted from always trying to please her parents. She was the smart one. The one who would excel to great heights and demand the world step up to her level. At least, that was how her family viewed her. She lived in constant fear of not rising to the pedestal they put her on.

"So do you want to watch a movie tonight?" Rose asked, pulling Clara from her thoughts.

Clara shook her worries away. "Yeah. Sounds great. What do you have in mind?"

"I don't know. Maybe a romantic comedy?"

Clara's nose wrinkled at the thought. She usually loved romantic comedies, but lately, her mind drifted to a certain pair of steely eyes whenever the topic of romance came around. She couldn't help it. She was entitled to a fantasy or two, but there was no way she was going to sit next to her friend and watch a steamy scene with Adam on her mind. The heat he created within her could pop the darn popcorn without so much as a microwave.

"How about this one?" Clara asked as she held up a murder mystery. "It has a great twist." And will kill any chances of thinking about getting it on with Mr. No Good Player, her thoughts added.

The movie choice did not matter because halfway through, the girls found themselves lost in popcorn and conversation. "So I have to ask," Clara began, "Why all the pink?"