Chapter 9

Adam fiddled with the silverware in front of him. Instead of eating in the small kitchen area as he suggested, his mother chose to host Clara in their large dining hall. They sat at the far end of the table, leaving the fifteen remaining chairs vacant. It was excessive. The room was reserved for hosting annual parties not eating a small lunch.

"Your home is beautiful," Clara said to Angela Beaumont.

"Why thank you. It has been home to many generations of Beaumonts," his mother replied.

Adam's eyes rolled toward the crystal chandelier. Please don't let her get started on family history, he prayed. Growing up, he loved his home and the countless stories told by his parents and grandparents. But now was not the time to get into it. He needed the lunch to end as soon as possible. The less amount of time Clara spent with his mother the better.

"That painting behind you," Clara began, "I've seen it before, but I can't remember the painter."

Angela didn't need to turn around as a proud smile filled her face. Adam's gaze shifted to the classic piece, tuning out their discussion. His father's favorite. The rough, painted strokes illustrated a boat battling a harsh snowstorm. It was hauntingly beautiful, and quickly became a young Adam's favorite backdrop to recreate his own shipwreck scenes. He could spend hours propped up on the decorative table below it, or until one of the maids chased him away.

"Joseph Mallord William Tuner," his mother replied. "A captivating piece, isn't it?

Clara nodded. "My roommate would love it. She's taking an art history class this year and won't stop talking about all the pieces she gets to study."

"If I'm correct, your roommate is Rosalia Laurence," his mother said. "How are you two getting along?"

"Great." The smile in Clara's voice was as evident as the one on her face. "Rose and I are good friends."

Adam smiled to himself as he fumbled with whatever gourmet salad his mother insisted on serving. The whole ridiculous luncheon was just a show of power meant to intimidate Clara, testing what type of girl she was. But Clara was holding her own in the tedious conversation.

"That's so good to hear." Angela took a moment to sip her ice water. The awkward silence was stifling. At least, it was for him. "So tell me, how is Adam coming along?"

"Can't we, at least, finish lunch before we talk about me?" he asked.

"Of course not. It's the reason we are all here."

Adam groaned. He dreaded this part of the conversation. It was the main reason he argued against the stupid lunch date to begin with. His mother was determined to ruin his junior year. Thanks to her, he would have to take summer classes to graduate on time or suffer an added year.

"Actually, he's doing very well," Clara said.

"Wonderful! I'll admit I was a little concerned when he said he found his own tutor. Especially one so much younger than him."

"Clara's here on full scholarship," Adam said. There was no way he was going to let Clara's age become a factor in her tutoring abilities.

"Oh I know," his mother cooed. "Very impressive. It speaks very highly of you, Clarabelle."

Clara's cheeks flushed brightly. "Thank you."

From where Adam sat, it was clear Clara was nervous as she shifted in her seat. And why shouldn't she be? Her afternoon consisted of facing Angela Beaumont, a woman who could rub elbows with the wealthiest of the wealthiest and not break a sweat. Even if Clara wasn't tense, Adam stressed enough for the both of them. The dining room was turning into the damn Sahara.