Chapter 10

Three weeks passed since Clara told Adam off in front of his stunning estate, and she did not regret it. She hummed and danced up and down the aisles of the University library. She found her new job as a student librarian to be much more peaceful than dealing with the deceitful Adam Beaumont.

Clara praised her wise decision as she adjusted the footstool to reach the top shelf in the fiction section. If only she were a couple of inches taller. Standing on her toes, she carefully placed a novel in its rightful spot.

Quiet giggles broke her concentration just as her fingers pushed the book's leather spine. Her body grew rigid and her footing staggered as the flirtatious laughter became louder.

It couldn't be.

There was no way the muffled, husky laugh belonged to Adam. He wouldn't have replaced her so soon. Would he? In his defense, Clara did tell him to find someone new. Could she hate him for doing so?

Clara tiptoed toward the secluded corner of the library. She could feel her heart rate rising as she peaked between the many novels that thrived off jealous women and mismatched lovers. The irony was not lost on her. Her heart pounded in her ears. She told herself she was just afraid of being caught snooping, but jealousy disagreed.

Cautiously, Clara spied on the annoying couple who were far too giggly for a study session. She didn't know what was worse, realizing that she expected to catch Adam with her new replacement or seeing that the guy making out with his overexcited date was blond and not the brown haired man she was quickly falling for.

Get it together, Clara.

Her hands shook as she grabbed the cart of books and darted towards the far rows before anyone could see her shame. It wasn't fair the way Adam had wormed his way into her mind in just over two short months. He didn't belong there. Not after the way he'd lied to her.

Of course, you would have never agreed to tutor him if you knew the full truth, her reasonable side argued. She sent it an inward glare. Fighting with her conscience would make matters worse. It could even lead her to forgive Adam, and that was something she was not willing to do. It was for her own good.

She was deep in the historical section when she heard his soothing voice behind her. "I heard you got a job here."

Clara spun, facing the man who haunted her subconscious. Clenching the thick biography in her hands, she asked, "Why are you here, Adam?"

Adam shrugged his broad shoulders. "I have a history report, and I was wondering if you knew the best resources I should use."

"Liar."

A soft smile crossed his lips, causing her traitorous heart to leap. She hated the effect he seemed to have on her. It was annoying.

"You're right," he said as he slowly enclosed the distance between them. "I lied. I came here with the crazy idea I might get a chance to apologize for the situation I put you in." When Clara didn't reply, Adam took another step closer. "I should've told you the truth to begin with, but can you blame me for not wanting to broadcast my past mistakes?"

Clara glanced at their surroundings. Nothing but old stories would hear Adam's confession. "I can't just pretend like it didn't happen."

"Why not?"

"Because this isn't some fairytale. One apology doesn't make up for a mountain of lies."

"It wasn't that many."

"Close enough." Clara didn't want to talk herself out of being angry with him. She couldn't.

"Let me help you," Adam said as reached for the books in her hand. "How do you even file these?"