Curious

Entering Ben's room, I tossed myself onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling. With a deep inhale I blew my hair out of my eyes and thought about what I was going to say to him.

I lightly drummed my fingers on my stomach as I willed myself not to have a panic attack.

Gosh, this was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do in my fifteen years on this planet. Well, after losing my mother, it's at least a close second.

The smell of popcorn drifted to my nose and I sat up as Ben walked back into the room. He was holding two bags of microwave popcorn.

"Heads up," he warned just before he tossed one of the bags. I caught it easily, taking in the heavenly aroma.

"Want to watch a movie?" I asked, glancing longingly at his abandoned television.

"Don't distract me, Decker," he scolded, sitting beside me on the bed. "Talk first."

"There's not much to say," I tried to shrug it off. "I told you it's nothing."

"Don't chicken out on me now," he teased. "I've been waiting for this all day."

I felt anxiety rooting itself deep in the pit of my stomach as I looked up at my best friend.

"Promise not to freak out?" I asked worriedly, biting my lip a bit.

"Why would I freak out?" He asked with a skeptical brow raised.

"Just promise."

"Okay. I'll do my very best not to freak out."

"Okay," I took a deep breath and said flat out, "I'm pretty sure I'm gay."

"Really?" He asked with a thoughtful expression.

"Yeah," I said cautiously, still not sure about his reaction.

"Cool," he said with an easy smile before leaning forward and placing a gentle kiss on my lips.

My eyes widened once my brain registered what was happening. My best friend was kissing me. On the lips. After I told him I was gay. What the fuck?

When he pulled back, a smirk formed on his face at my stupefied expression.

"Did- did you just... kiss me?" I stuttered a bit as my brows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes," he said simply, "and I'm about to do it again."

"Wha-" he cut me off as he leaned forward and connected our lips again. I made an odd noise as he shifted closer and tucked a loose piece of my hair behind my ear. I couldn't help but let my eyes flutter closed.

His lips were so soft. But... this was Ben, my best friend. Best friends don't kiss. Best friends are the definition of the friend zone... soft. So soft.

Ben caressed my face with both hands and pulled me closer to him, deepening the kiss as he traced his tongue over my lips.

I pulled back with a gasp. I wanted answers. "Y-you're gay?"

Ben shrugged, "Let's call it bi-curious."

And then he kissed me again. Jesus, what was happening? His lips kneaded mine, tugging and nipping lightly. It was nice, but... it felt weird coming from him.

I pulled away again, "This is not how I imagined this conversation going at all..."

Ben chuckled slightly, ruffling my hair up as he said, "Our popcorn is getting cold, Coley. Still want to watch that movie?"

"I guess, but... are we not gonna talk about this?" I asked.

"What's there to talk about?" He asked, standing up to get the television set up.

"How about the fact that you just kissed me several times," I suggested.

"It's not that big of a deal, Cole. Just don't tell anyone."

"Not that big of a deal? It was my first kiss, Ben. It's kind of a big deal to me."

"Okay. Just don't tell anyone," he reiterated, turning on the television.

"That's all? That's all I get?" I asked, starting to get myself worked up. "Okay, and it's not that big of a deal?"

"What more do you want, Cole? You're gay, I'm curious, and I figured you wouldn't mind if I-"

"I'm supposed to be your friend, Ben, not a fucking opportunity," I interrupted him. "You have no idea how hard it was for me to open up to you about this, and here you go shoving it back in my face!"

"Cole-"

"No. I'm going home," I said, fighting tears at how insensitive he was.

I scooped my bag off the ground and left the room, hearing him mutter a soft, "Whatever," under his breath as I went.

We never fought, and as I closed the front door of his house and started my long, lonely walk home, I felt absolutely horrible. Tears started to slip from my eyes as my shoes scraped against the dimly lit sidewalks.

I didn't want to go home, but I couldn't go back. Not after that. So begrudgingly, I made my way into the dark night.

×××
A/N

Hey hey. How was that? Two chapters in one day? I must be a superhero! JK, I'm obviously the villain...

If you were a superhuman, what would your superpower be?

Let's be creative people! I want the ability to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time! (Hello free cheese samples at the mall! You belong to me! Mwahaha!)

-Anon