Phone

"Cole!" My aunt called up the stairs. "Phone!"

Who would be calling me?

Frowning slightly, I stood from my desk chair and raced down the stairs.

Wordlessly, Aunt Liza handed me the phone and walked away. I slowly brought the device to my ear before asking a curious, "Hello?"

"A week! A whole week you've been back to school and not once have you showed up for practice! What the hell is wrong with you, Decker?" I cringed as my soccer coach's angry voice exploded in my ear.

"Sorry, Coach. I just-"

"Just what?"

"I didn't think I was welcomed on the team anymore."

"Dennis told me about what's been happening, Cole. You should know that none of that shit matters here. If one of my players has a problem with you, they can kiss my ass. You're one of the best damn players this team has ever seen and I'm not losing you because of some petty high school drama!"

I could feel my heart beating in my chest as I bit my lip and peered out the window.

"So you don't care that I'm gay?"

"I don't care who you make out with. As long as it doesn't effect how you play soccer, your business is your business."

"I wish more people thought of it that way."

"Look, Cole. Whatever you're dealing with, I need you to set it aside and come to practice tonight. Our first game of the season is coming up fast and I need the team to be a team before then."

"Okay, Coach."

"Six o'clock."

"Six o'clock," I repeated, and just like that, the conversation was over.

I stared at the phone for a few moments before dropping my arm and looking out the window again. I had a feeling practice was going to be a shit storm tonight. Especially with Trevor and those other homophobic assholes.

"Hey, Liza!" I called.

"Yeah?" She called back and I followed her voice to the living room. I glanced at the TV to see her watching one of those fixer upper house renovation shows.

"I won't be home for dinner tonight. I've got soccer practice at six."

"Okay. Do you mind if I have Adam over for a date then?"

"Fine by me," I shrugged.

"What time do you need to be picked up?" she asked as she started dialing on her phone.

"Probably around nine. I'll text you."

"Okay," she put her phone up to her ear. A few moments later, the other end picked up and I watched her face light up with it. "Hey! I was wondering if you had any plans for dinner tonight."

Not really interested in the rest of the conversation, I left the room and went to pack up my soccer gear.

×××

Coach nodded to me as I crossed the field, dufflebag over my shoulder. I had hoped to show up earlier to avoid the whole locker-room-full-of-pissed-teenage-homophobes thing, but Aunt Liza had run a little late dropping me off because she was putting her makeup on.

Sighing, I pushed open the door to the locker room and stepped inside.

Everything went quiet.

I looked up to see a bunch of half dressed boys staring at me with their shirts in their hands. Wordlessly, I brought my fingers to my forehead and gave them a small salute in acknowledgement before heading to my locker.

Their eyes followed me, but no one dared to move. Ignoring them all, I started to get dressed.

"There's no way in hell I'm changing in front of a fag."

I looked up to see Trevor glaring at me with his arms crossed over his chest

"Why not?" I asked innocently as I tugged my shirt over my head.

"I'm not exactly in the mood to be eye raped by a freak like you."

"Oh, Honey. I may be gay, but I still have standards," I cooed with a smile. Trevor frowned a bit. "But don't worry about me being attracted to you, Trevy. You're ugly to both straight girls and gay guys."

"Why you little-" he slammed me against the lockers and pressed his arm against my throat, making it difficult to breathe. "You want to say that again? Huh? You think you're smart, Dicker?"

"I would, but I've just been put into a rather intimate position and I think it'd be a little awkward," I choked out, looking at his face that was inches from my own. "You're not gay, are you Trevy?"

"Gross," his face screwed up in disgust as he stepped back and flung me to the ground. I smacked my head against the tiled floor and tried to cradle my skull as Trevor looked down at me. "You're a disgusting fuck, Dicker. There's no fucking way I'm playing on the same team as you."

"Good. Then you can pack your things and get the fuck off my field," I looked up with wide eyes to see Coach standing in the doorway.

"Coach?" Trevor immediately started to flounder for words, "W-What do you mean?"

"I need team players coming into this season, and if you are unable to work on the same team as Mr. Decker, then I have no use for you."

"But-"

"You're off the team, Wilkes. Get dressed and go home. Does anyone else have a problem with Mr. Decker?"

The room was silent.

"Good. Now hurry up and get dressed. If you aren't on the field in five minutes you're in for a full day of conditioning."

The locker room erupted into life as everyone scrambled to get their uniforms on. Trevor just numbly packed his stuff back up and left the room.

I couldn't help but feel relieved.

×××

Soccer practice was a welcomed distraction that allowed my mind to slip into a dazed and relaxed state. I went through the drills on autopilot, dribbling and kicking the ball almost effortlessly.

Nine o'clock seemed to come too soon.

After I got dressed again, I threw my duffle bag over my shoulder and stalked out to the parking lot.

I spotted my Aunt's van in no time. As I walked towards it, I noticed she was leaning against it, having a conversation with a tall dark haired man. It must've been Adam.

Aunt Liza turned her head as she saw me approach and smiled. Her shift in attention caused the man beside her look my way as well, but when I finally saw his face, I stopped in my tracks.

In mere second, my heartbeat increased rapidly, my palms became slick with sweat, and all the blood drained from my face.

He looks... He looks just like-

I felt my knees buckle beneath me and watched my vision go black before I could even hit the ground.

×××

A/N

Phew that took a long time to write. Sorry about the wait, folks. I've been to the Grand Canyon and London Bridge and all that crazy stuff and I've barely had time to write a thing! Should be back to normal updates soon.

Anywho...

I NEED SOME BABY NAMES FOR LITTLE HUGHES-GOLDMAN!

Please put your suggestions here↓

Boy names→

Girl names→

Thanks!
-Anon