Sacrifice

"It's horrible," Jason frowned as he set the newspaper aside and looked out at the horizon. "Why do people feel the need to hurt one another?"

"I don't know," I told him honestly, "but it really sucks."

"I agree," he said, resting his finger against his chin. He wore a thoughtful expression as he looked at me, his eyes roaming over my face before lingering on my split lip. "There must be something we can do. Something that hasn't been done before because obviously nothing else is working."

"Something to stop bullies?" I arched an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah," he hummed. "I'm still waiting for the day when bullying someone makes the bully look like a freak, and not the other way around."

"That'll be the day."

"Yeah," he laughed lightly, "and until then, maybe we can try sacrificing some of your virgin blood to some Pagan gods. See if that works."

Jason was smiling, and though I knew it was just a joke, I couldn't help my mood from dropping at his comment. 

"Cole?" he asked when he realized I wasn't laughing with him. Seeing the look on my face, he scooted closer and put a hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong?"

I couldn't bring myself to look at him, so I just stared at nothing in particular on the ground below us.

"Cole?" he slipped his fingers under my chin and lifted my gaze.

Just thinking about it made me feel dirty. Tainted.

He wouldn't want me if he knew.

"Are you okay?" his voice held concern.

"I'm not," I managed to get out.

"You're not okay?"

"I'm not a virgin," I said numbly.

Jason paused, looking at me for a second before he said, "Oh."

I looked away again, tucking both knees up against my chest and hugging them tightly.

"There's nothing wrong with that," he said, trying to lift my spirits, I'm sure. I chewed the inside of my cheek anxiously as I debated whether or not I wanted to tell him. Ultimately, I knew that somewhere deep down inside of me, I wanted to tell him. I wanted him to know, no matter how afraid I was to tell him.

"Remember the night you found me?" I asked.

Jason looked a little perplexed by the question at first, but ended up nodding regardless. "Yes."

"Did you ever wonder why I was there?"

"Yes."

I looked up, and was startled by the intensity in his electric blue eyes. He was looking right at me, and it made my heart beat spike in both nervousness and anticipation.

"Would you like to know why?" 

Jason didn't break his gaze, and after a moment of silence, he murmured, "Yes."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before telling him. From the beginning of this whole mess.

"A few weeks ago, I told my best friend I was gay, and he turned around and told the bullies at my school so he could become part of their little popular group. He sold me out, after all those years of friendship. He sold me out like I meant nothing to him. The bullies had their fun for a while, but when they got bored of beating me up, they sought out new ways to hurt me. On the day you found me, they had gone to my house and spray painted the word fag across my front door. My dad didn't know. He's been an alcoholic since my mom died and when he came home that night, he lost it. He was drunk and angry and violent. He beat the shit out of me," at that point there were tears streaming down my cheeks, but I didn't have the heart to wipe them away. I inhaled shakily before continuing. "He beat the shit out of me and then he raped me."

I couldn't look at him. I couldn't meet his eye. 

God, I felt so weak and pathetic. 

He'd never want me. No one would.

A hand on my shoulder pulled me from my thoughts, and I looked up at Jason for only a moment before he pulled me into a hug. 

I closed my eyes, inhaling his scent and trying to commit it to memory. He was so warm and comforting. I didn't want to leave his arms.

"You don't have to feel ashamed of what happened, Cole. It wasn't your fault."

I nodded into his shirt, focusing all of my attention on the small circles he was tracing along my back.

After a long while of just sitting there like that, I pulled gently away from him and asked, "You don't think I'm disgusting?"

Jason shook his head. "Never."

I nodded, trying to wipe away the moisture on my cheeks with my sleeve. "Sorry, I'm a mess."

Jason gently pushed my hands down and whispered, "You've never looked more beautiful."

He leaned forward and gently pressed his lips to mine, making my heart flutter inside my chest. It was only a small kiss, but as he pulled back and looked at me with such a soft gaze, I was overwhelmed with emotions.

How could someone so perfect, so beautiful and strong, so much as look at me? How could he possibly see anything in me. He was an angel, so how could he ever like me the way I so desperately wanted him to?

"Well, I wouldn't worry too much about it," he smiled a little as he looked out at the trees again, "We can always sacrifice some of my virgin blood instead. Maybe then the bullying will stop."

×××

A/N

BOOM! There's another chapter. It only took me two weeks, but who's counting?

What do you think about this chapter?

Hmm, now I have to think of another question... It's getting kind of hard to not repeat myself on these things.... Oh! I know! What is something you'd like to know about me? I'll answer all (within reason... I obviously won't be giving out my social security information or anything that may jeopardize my anonymity factor, but feel free to ask!)

Thanks again for the read!
-Anon