Angel

The bitter rain seemed to penetrate each layer of my skin, soaking deeper and deeper until it encased my bones in a shell of ice. My muscles spasmed, jittering uncontrollably as they tried to keep my core temperature up. I couldn't focus. I couldn't think about anything but this blinding cold.

Until I felt arms around me.

I pried open my eyelids again, but all I could see was a shoulder. The shoulder of an angel.

I could feel his heat as he held me against his chest, and I desperately needed more of it.

"H-help." Barely any air escaped my lungs to deliver my message, but I knew he understood me.

The angel pulled away enough that I could see his face. My tired eyes hungrily gulped in his smoothe, sloping features. But most stunning of all were his eyes. They were the shade of blue found within the depths of frozen icecaps. Pure. Vibrant. They were absolutely breathtaking.

Wordlessly, the angel took my backpack from me and slung it over his own shoulder. Then, grabbing my wrists, he pulled my arms so that they wrapped around his neck. I held onto him tightly as he brought both of us to our feet. Though I didn't feel all that comfortable being close to a stranger, there was something about the way he moved and behaved that soothed me.

And in all honesty, I was too cold to care.

I did my best to move my feet, but in the end, the angel ended up carrying me.

I didn't mind. It meant I didn't have to walk.

Though I tried to hold on as long as I could, my consciousness slowly bled from me and I fell asleep in his arms.

×××

When I came to, the first thing I realized was that I was on some sort of bed. The second was that I couldn't feel the rain, but it sounded as if I was still outside with it.

I peeled my eyelids apart only to find myself in a one roomed structure made entirely of wooden boards. There were a few windows, but none of them had glass. A few were covered by cloth or plastic, but I could see out of one.

The rain was coming down hard, and though my body still shook from the cold, I was glad I was no longer out in it.

I could see trees outside, but not from ground level. I was up high. As if in a tree myself. And then it dawned on me. A tree house.

But where was my angel?

My question was answered as a hatch on the floor swung open and he climbed up. He was completely soaked, and water dripped from his midnight black hair and streamed down his face, disappearing into his black t-shirt and leather jacket.

The angel dropped my soaked backpack onto the floor before closing up the hatch and running his fingers through his wet hair.

After shaking his ebony locks out a bit, he walked to the corner of the room and pulled a change of clothes out of a bag of his own.

I tried to look away when he removed his jacket and reached to tug off his shirt, but I just couldn't.

I was mesmerized by the way he moved. Graceful, yet reserved and calculated at the same time.

He pulled his shirt over his head and tugged it off of his elbows before tossing it back to the corner.

I let my eyes trace over his shoulder blades and down his spine. His skin was so smooth and evenly colored. He was pale, so much so that he almost seemed to glow in the dim light given off by a small battery operated lantern in the center of the room.

It was just enough for me to make out the faint outline of pink scars across his back.

In the moment just before he pulled a grey t-shirt over his head, my addled brain registered a pattern in the lines.

They formed the three letters I never wanted to see again in my life.

F

A

G

As if sensing my gaze, the angel turned to look at me. I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to still be asleep. I prayed to any god out there that he hadn't caught me staring. That would be awkward.

After a moment's pause, there was a rustling sound as he changed out of his soaked jeans. Then, a moment later, I felt a weight land on my legs.

My eyes opened reflexively to see my angel standing above me and a pile of his clothes in my lap.

"Change," he told me with his lips pulled into a thin line and his arms crossed over his chest, "Before you catch pneumonia."

I sat up, gingerly picking up and unfolding the clothes. My fingers still shook, but they were functional.

"Could you...?" I let my question trail off, but he seemed to understand as he turned so his back was toward me.

I changed as quickly as I could, and once I was in dry clothes, I timidly asked, "What should I do with these?"

The angel turned back around and held out his hands. I handed over my soggy clothing and he started to hang them up to dry.

"Get under the blankets. You need to get your temperature back up."

I nodded and did as he said. It was a small bed, but it was enough to hold me, and there were quite a few blankets stacked on top of it.

I wriggled my way underneath them as best as I could. The angel stepped forward and helped pull the blankets up to my chin.

"Get some sleep," he told me before he turned away from me.

"W-Wait," I stopped him, and he twisted himself back towards me. "I'm Cole. Cole Decker. What's your name?"

The angel gave me a small smile before he said, "Jason. Just Jason."

×××

A/N

Sorry for the delayed update. End of the semester is hitting me like a freight train. Did you guys know I'm graduating with an associate's degree in a week? And then with a high school diploma a month later?

Well now you do.

What's your dream job?

Mine would ideally be writing, but in terms of stability, I'm shooting for a career in engineering or engineering management.

And boy the future is coming quick.

Thanks for the read,
-Anon