Chapter 26-Monster

The final term started. No Saki. Not the first day. Not the second day. Not the third or the forth. I tried the abandoned apartment building that she was so fond of, no Saki. My anxiety worsened. I was missing something, something big, something pivotal.

What was it about the start of the spring and winter terms that made Saki skip school every time? It is true that Saki missed quite a bit of school, but she had been getting increasingly better since we started hanging out.

Last winter, I was sure it was because I had crossed a line and done something stupid by holding her. I had screwed up again, but this time I'd seen her after that. She wasn't mad and she didn't avoid me. For that matter, none of my behavior explained the spring term either.

I could hardly concentrate on anything by the end of Thursday. When the first bell sounded on Friday and Saki wasn't in her seat, I decided something had to be done. I was going to break the very first rule Saki had ever given me. I was going to go to her house.

After homeroom ended, before the first period teacher had time to make it to the classroom, I got up to leave.

Hiromasa grabbed my arm. "Where are you going?"

"To find Saki," I said firmly.

He released my arm, looking a little worried as he did. "Good luck."

I went to Sayoko's homeroom and knocked on the door. A bewildered looking girl, who I assume was the class rep, answered it.

"I need to talk to Sayoko," I told her.

She let out an aggravated sigh. "This isn't lunch period, you know? Go back to class. If you want to talk to your girlfriend, come back later."

She started to shut the door, but I caught it and pushed it back open.

"What are you..." she started.

"Listen," I said calmly. "I'm going to speak with Sayoko one way or another, so you can either bring her here or I can come in. What will it be?"

The class rep stared at me in silent anger for a few moments before letting out another sigh. "Sayoko, your boyfriend is here."

Sayoko came to the door looking understandably confused. "What are you doing here? Class is about to start."

"I need Saki's address," I said, not wasting any time.

Sayoko nodded knowingly, her face softening. "So, it's come to that, huh?"

She went to the teacher's podium, ripped a corner off a piece of paper, and returned to the door.

"I obviously haven't been to see her in a while." She held the paper against the door frame and started writing. "But I'm sure she still lives in the same place. Her mother wouldn't want to leave." She handed me the paper.

"Thanks." I took it and glanced at the address before putting it in my pocket.

"Just be careful," Sayoko warned.

"Of her mother?" I asked.

"Of Saki," she said.

I caught a train headed towards Saki's stop, fidgeting and tapping my foot the entire way there, which earned me few stares from the other passengers, but I really didn't care. The damn thing just wasn't moving fast enough. I had to constantly remind myself that even though it felt like I was sitting still the train was faster than walking.

As soon as I arrived, I hurriedly made my way off the train and onto the sidewalk. I pulled Sayoko's note out a final time to make sure I'd read it right and then started walking briskly towards Saki's apartment. There really wasn't any guarantee she'd be there at all, but I had to try. If she wasn't there, I was going to search until I found her, or until I passed out, whichever came first.