Chapter 35

After lunch I excuse myself to the Asgardians and thank them for their hospitality. "I should head home. And I still have to pick up my keys all the way in Brooklyn."
Also, going home would give me the opportunity to get some air and take a little time to think. Today turned out to be quite eventful on an emotional level, again.

Loki is watching me gather my things from the passage to his bedroom. "You are welcome to lose your keys again tomorrow," he quips when I'm all done. "Or tonight."
I stand before him, bags in my hand. I don't want to go, but I can't really stay either. I think I need a break. The bold feeling I had before is gone, my energy drained.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Loki asks, taking a step closer to me.

"I don't know. I guess it's all a bit much, despite what I said earlier." I try not to sound too sad, but I fail. "You picked me up last night and now I don't know exactly where we stand, but I wouldn't be surprised if S.H.I.E.L.D. knew all about it."

"Where we stand?" Loki gives me a puzzled look.

"Why did you come see me last night? At least, I take it you were there for me?" My heart is in my throat, I am suddenly not so sure of myself anymore.

"Of course I came for you. I thought you knew that already," Loki tells me matter of factly.

I fidget with the bags in my hand. "So you don't care anymore about me being mortal?"

Loki takes the bags from my hand, putting them on the ground. He takes my hand in his. "I do care, but I still want to be with you." He pauses for a moment. "I missed you."

I'm still looking down at my hands, I can't look into his eyes for this. "You missed me, or my magical abilities?"

With one finger he lifts up my chin. "How many times do I have to tell you? You and your magic are one." His tone is serious, but his eyes are soft. "I do admit, I like the effect you have on me. It took some getting used to, but it's really nice to have you with me. Who knows, you might be my light after all."
His hand brushes a strand of hair from my face. "Seeing you in that car... unconscious... it made me realise how vulnerable you are." Loki's voice is soft and so is his touch, tracing the line of my jaw. "Your family was furious you got hurt because of me and I felt the same way. I thought I could stay away from you, but I was wrong."
His kiss is soft too, carefully caressing my lips. Loki gathers me in his arms, light kisses tracing to my ear. "You are my favourite soft-hearted human," he whispers, followed by a kiss in the hollow of my neck. His lips find mine again and this time the kiss deepens. It feels so good, I almost forget to breathe. After what feels like a heavenly eternity of lips, tongues and touches, I bury my face into his chest, inhaling his scent. Loki's long arms are all around me, his chin on my head. Time stands still.

"Too bad I still have to get my keys in Brooklyn," I mutter into Loki's embrace after a while.

He chuckles, a low rumble in his chest. "I guess you do."

"And I have to go home..." I say reluctantly.

"How about I pick you up after work tomorrow?"

"Deal," I smile at Loki, stealing another kiss. At this moment I can't imagine why everyone thinks Loki is so dangerous, what is he gonna do? Kill me with kisses? "But before I go, I have a question. Why would Sharon say you are not the same as the others from Asgard?"

"Because I am not originally from Asgard, you know that," Loki simply tells me. I want to ask more, but he doesn't let me. "Save it for tomorrow, my little wolf. Go home, go get your keys all the way in Brooklyn. I'll see you after work."

Loki escorts me downstairs, letting me out a side door of the Stark building. Walking home, there is a spring in my step. Loki kissed me! The prince of Asgard wants to be with me. I've got no clue how to go from here, but I guess time will tell. Just go with the flow.