Chapter 12

Spoiler alert: Thor Ragnarok synopsis

When my uncle leaves me a little while later, I feel much better. I get into bed, thinking a little about what Thor could mean with me being Loki's light. But sleep overtakes me and I don't wake up until my alarm rings the next morning.

I work only the morning shifts this week, leaving my afternoons free to do what I want. Lisa and I take a salsa dancing workshop at the local community center, I clean out my closet and I help Mrs. Willow to order a new microwave online.

And now I'm up at the roof terrace, with today's newspaper and a cup of tea. When I get to the entertainment section, there is a big piece about the opening of the mythology exhibit at the MET yesterday. Lars said he wanted to go check it out some time and I start reading the article. But then the pictures catch my eye and I can feel my stomach knot. Loki and Thor are pictured multiple times, with several other guests. On one picture, there is a beautiful blonde draped over Loki's arm. She has a familiar face, I think she's a model.
Why am I getting angry over this? I knew Loki would be out of jail, and attending the opening at the MET is probably just part of the publicity campaign. I look at the girl on Loki's arm. Was she part of the campaign too? She's not Asgardian, she just looks like arm candy. When I realise I'm getting worked up over seeing Loki with a pretty girl, I throw the newspaper on the ground.
Loki is a murderer, I remind myself.
A handsome murderer who has held my hand when I was scared, who healed me and who has told me he thinks I'm sweet.
Shit.

The next day it's my day off, but Thomas has asked me to help him with a muffin delivery to a big legal firm down the block. One of the partners is treating the whole staff to muffins because of his birthday. It's just around the block, so getting a cab is a bit overdone. We have a trolley for things like this. Thomas needs me to make sure the pile of boxes doesn't end up all over the sidewalk. "Or in case a hobo tries to run off with a box of muffins!" Thomas jokes to me, while loading the trolley.

"That's why I'm giving you an extra box," aunt Yvonne says, putting one on top of the pile. "You can give those to the homeless near the monument, when you're on your way back."

The legal firm is in a big fancy building, a couple of buildings down to the monument. So after we deliver the muffins we take the extra box with us, in search for someone who doesn't get a treat like that very often. During the day there are protesters in front on the monument and usually there are some homeless people around too. On one of the benches that look out over the lawn around the monument we spot a man and a woman, with some bags scattered around them. They happily accept the muffins and Thomas and I turn the trolley around to head back to the coffeeshop.

"Good morning, lady Ylva, lord Thomas," a voice says behind us.
I look around to see Lord Heimdall standing on the sidewalk, dressed in dark jeans and a brown leather jacket. He's wearing his sunglasses.
"Will you join me for a walk, please, lady Ylva?" he asks politely.

I have no idea why he wants me to come with him, but the weather is nice, I've got notting better to do and Heimdall has always been friendly. "Uh, sure. Why not? You'll manage getting back without me, right, Thomas?"

"Yeah, no problem. See you tomorrow!" Thomas says goodbye to Heimdall and pushes the trolley down the sidewalk.

Heimdall and I walk in the other direction. "I hope I didn't interrupt your plans, my lady," he says, walking in a leisurely pace, hands behind his back.

"Oh, no worries. It's my day off, I had nothing planned." I walk beside the tall man, wondering what it is he wants with me. Before I can ask what this is about, he starts talking.

"I want to tell you some more about the destruction of my realm. I hope it will give you the information you need to make a decision."

"Alright," I answer slowly. I don't know what decision he is talking about, but I'm too curious to pass on a chance to learn more about Ragnarok.