Chapter 13

I take some time looking at the huddled figure across the lawn. I can't see his face, but I know for sure it is Loki. So, how do you 'be' someone's light? I have literally no clue at all. What I do know, is that Loki looks quite unhappy. He is just sitting there, hunched over, his hands between his knees. A familiar warmth is spreading along my spine. With a shock, I remember Heimdall touching my back when he talked about my magic. Was this what he meant?
A deep sigh escapes me. I might as well get on with it.  "Down the rabbit hole I go," I mutter, getting up from the bench.

Loki doesn't look up when I approach him and I just go with my gut when I slide on the bench beside him, putting my arms around him. "You look like you need a hug."

As soon as I touch him, Loki whips up his arms to throw off mine, turning his body so he faces me. His hand is about to clench down on my throat, when his eyes suddenly grow big and he falls back against the bench.
"Odin be damned, Ylva! I could have hurt you!"

I sit back, panting, touching my neck with my hand. Smart idea, surprising a god from a warrior planet. "You looked like you needed a hug," I squeak.

Loki starts laughing out loud, a sound I had not heard before, so I smile back, be it a little wavered.
"It's good to see you," Loki says, putting his arm around my shoulders shortly to plant a small kiss in my hair.

"So, I heard you've been in jail. Again." I say casually when we are settled on the bench. I can feel the adrenaline in my body from his near-attack, it's making me bold.

"I take it Thor has been in contact with you," Loki answers, at which point I nod.

"And Heimdall, him too. Everyone but you," I tell the god next to me a little edgy.

After a moment he responds. "Yes... sorry about that. But after what happened that day, I thought you might not want to see me again."

"You're right, I didn't."

"But here you are."

I just shrug in response. I couldn't tell him why I'm here if he asked, as I don't really know that answer myself.

Loki wants to know what happened to me at S.H.I.E.L.D. and seems set at ease when he hears I only had to answer questions. "But it took a really long time, it was really annoying!" I whine a little and he laughs again.

He tells me the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents had put him back in the same cell he was in when he came to Earth with the other survivors of Ragnarok.
"Because you attacked that agent?" I ask, like pinning a man to a wall is a normal thing to do.

"Yes. And because I healed your hand."

"That doesn't sound fair."

"It was part of the deal Thor made. I can't use my magic on people. They were ok with it when I only used it to keep people at a distance. I figure their train of thought was that I was less likely to kill anyone if everyone stayed out of reach." He laughs humorlessly.

"Do you want to? Kill people, I mean. Or take over Earth?" I ask bluntly.

"My, are we subtle today!" Loki smirks.
But I just look at him, waiting for an answer.
"Well... I still think the people of Earth want to be subjugated, deep down. If you look at history, they seem to have some perverse need for it. But let's just say I've lost my appetite. For now at least." His look is daring and confident, but my gut tells me it's all for show. He just wants to see how I respond to such a cocky statement. He doesn't seem surprised I know about his efforts to take over my planet.

"To rule over seven billion people... There is such a thing as getting in over your head," I reply, letting some sarcasm seep through.

"You don't think I could do it?" Loki grins at me.

"I just think it's overly ambitious, even for you."

The God of Mischief snickers. "That has never held me back before."

Loki seems to handle my confrontations well, so I take it a little further. "What's with the whole look?" I ask, gesturing to his hoodie and disorderly hair.

"It's my day off," he shrugs.

"Ah. And your idea of pastime is to admire the monument they put up for all the people you killed."

That hits a nerve. "Check your tongue, human! The fact that I've put up with your sass 'till now, doesn't mean that will endure."
Although his stare is cold and angry I force myself to meet his eyes. Fear of what he can do to me gives me goosebumps, but I refuse to let him get the better of me. So I clench my teeth and stare back at him. After a few minutes Loki rolls his eyes angrily and breaks up our staring contest.
"By Valhalla, you are stubborn," he says, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why are you here, Ylva? Just to pick a fight with me?" Loki sounds aggrieved. "If you think I'm such a monster, why not stay away from me? Or turn me in to the police?"

"I did not came to pick a fight. Not intentionally anyway," I tell him hesitantly. "Maybe I just came to see if the Loki responsible for the death of so many innocent people is the same Loki I met in the coffee shop."

"And?" he asks, a hint of concern in his voice. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

"I don't know," I say softly, avoiding his eyes this time. "I do like coffee shop Loki better."

He is silent for a while and when he speaks again, his tone is soft. "Didn't you say you read up about me? The myths don't paint a pretty picture. I'm like the face of evil and lies. One could say my attempt to rule Earth fits the bill perfectly. Then why are you surprised?"

I snort. "The myths also tell you turned yourself into a mare and gave birth to Sleipnir, Odin's eight legged horse. Excuse me for taking those stories with a grain of salt."

Loki chuckles and involuntary I smile too. But when he speaks again, his tone is serious. "I'm not a big brawny warrior like my brother. My wit and my ability to adapt are my greatest weapons, along with my magic. Yes, I wanted to subjugate the people of Earth six years ago. But circumstances have changed and therefore I have changed."

After that, we just sit in silence, each with our own thoughts. I am mostly wondering why my morals seem so flexible around Loki. Because somehow I am accepting him for who he is, violent past and all. "Did you glamour me?" I ask, startling him a bit.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because I'm sitting next to a murderer and I don't feel the need to call 911," I exclaim dramatically, throwing my hands up.

"I'm sorry, my little wolf, but that's all on you. They upgraded these," he says with a chuckle, holding up his wrists with the metal bracelets. "I would not have the power to glamour you. I barely have enough magic for myself. And I'm on house arrest. You just caught me on my yard time."
And sure enough, I spot a man in a dark suit walking our way. Agent Wilde. "That's my call," Loki says, getting up from the bench. He extends his hand to help me up. Still holding my hand, he bends over to whisper in my ear. "I can't glamour you, but I hope it will be enough to just ask."
I can feel his cool breath brushing my ear. Goosebumps again, but now in a good way. "Will you accompany me to a gala next week?"
When he pulls away to look at me, he gives a tiny chuckle. His free hand touches my reddened cheeks. "Is that a yes?"

Embarrassed, I give Loki a shove. "Jerk," I mutter.

"I'll see you soon, my lady," Loki says, putting my hand to his lips for a light kiss. He turns on his heels, walking toward the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who is waiting for him.

"Wait!" I call after him. "Do I need a dress? I don't have a gala dress!"

Loki turns around halfway, giving me a wink. "Don't worry. We can take care of that."