Epilogue

Rogue, Benny, Scarlett, Sam and Jon had graduated two days ago. To their great delight, they had been designated a command crew and allocated to the Eridanus. The other members of the crew, classmates that they would get to know even better over time, were loading the ship for departure.

They had been given a mission of exploration and diplomacy. The high command had decided that since they already had contacts in the galaxy, they would be perfect for the mission. They were to explore the universe and develop relations with any alien race that wasn't hostile. The Starfleet wanted alliances badly.

Rogue leant against the railing in the Bridge. Jon was sitting in the Captain's seat, and they both had their eyes trained on the news-report telecast. Benny, Scarlett and Sam walked in, and Sam announced, "We're nearly ready to go. Everything is loaded, and the rest of the crew is saying goodbye to their families."

"Roger that," Rogue answered.

"Either of you want to say goodbye before we get out of comms range?" Benny asked.

"I already did," Jon muttered. They all glanced at Rogue.

"I'm good." She smiled softly. Her eyes turned back to the telecast.

Scarlett stepped forward, "What are you watching?"

Rogue simply shushed her as she turned the volume up quickly. The headline answered Scarlett's question.

General Hash – Head of the Galactic Starfleet – in court facing allegations of treason. The reporter was giving a quick outline of the charges he was facing. Most notably his plan with the Daemoniums.

"You think he'll get off?" Benny asked.

Rogue shook her head, "With all the evidence that mysteriously appeared in the Orion Planetary prosecutor's inbox? No way."

Jon nodded in agreement, "He'd be lucky to not get life imprisonment. A lot of people will be fighting for it."

"Guess sometimes you're right, Rogue. We can't trust authority." Sam sighed. He wanted it to be simpler; he wanted to be able to trust people.

Rogue glanced at Jon and then at the telecast. She tilted her head and gave a soft smile, "Sometimes. I guess we've learnt that trust should be earned not owed. Authority may not always be right, may not always be trusted but... It can be. We just need to learn when to trust someone and when not to."

Benny grinned at her, and she returned the smile. "We'll see you guys in a couple of minutes for take-off," he told Rogue and Jon. Sam, Benny and Scarlett walked out to double check that they had all their personal belongings.

"You really think that?" Jon asked, "That authority can be good."

Rogue nodded, "Just look at our fathers." She took a deep breath, "I guess that in the heat of the battle people's true selves come out. Some, like General Hash, just want to do what is best for themselves. But others, they want to fight for what's right."

Jon nodded as the entire crew came in. Scarlett gave the signal, and Jon gave the order, "Positions. Rogue, start the countdown. We launch in one minute."

Rogue turned the engine on and set the controls. The Eridanus purred into life, and the crew watched the screen, ready to fly.

10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5.

Rogue took the control in her hand and got ready to fly.

4. 3. 2.

Benny, Sam, Scarlett, Jon and Rogue exchanged grins.

1.