Chapter 12 - Back to School

Classes started the following day. They had physical exercise class first, and for once Rogue was early, she joined the others standing to the side. She exchanged glances with Jon. They hadn't decided whether to tell their friends about the vid-file yet or not.

Benny had an excuse slip from sport for the next week while his leg finished healing, but the others got ready for a gruelling session.

Major Fyre walked in, "Okay kiddos!" She began, "Graduation is in three months which means every class will be picking it up, this is no exception. Today you will do a run followed by weights and sparring. So, get to it!" They all groaned.

"Yay," Scarlett said dryly. They began running together as a team. Sam rattled off advice to Benny and Scarlett when they started lagging. Jon exchanged a grin with Rogue as they pulled ahead of the others to talk.

"It's nice to know that they're listening to our orders," Jon admitted, and Rogue grinned back. They were nearing the finish line when Jon spoke again, "Do you really think you can bring your rank up enough to get into the same crew as us?"

Rogue bit her lip, "I know I can. Despite what people think, I am actually smart. I'd be more worried about the others than me." Jon nodded, and they crossed the finish line together. They headed over to the weights and sparring mats. The rest of the crew joined them a few minutes later.

Major Fyre walked over to them and gave a small smile, "I'm impressed with the times Scarlett and Benny got. I find it interesting how you are all working together. I do wonder how long it will all last though."

"What do you mean by that?" Rogue asked sweetly.

"Simply that you are all so different in character, you can't help but fight," the Major replied.

"We are not that different," Sam retorted.

The Major's eyebrows rose, "Really? You and Scarlett are virtually complete opposites, same with Rogue and Jonathan and Benny is nothing like any of you." She took a breath, "I doubt you'd work out well for a long period of time."

"I think you'll be surprised," Jon said. He took a step back and led the way to the next section, which they completed as a team.

The next two classes went without trouble. Everyone they passed, including their own class, stared at them though. Surprisingly, Rogue seemed to hate the attention. Maybe not so surprisingly, Jon realised.

Rogue was watching the others' reactions. Benny and Sam were basking in the attention, no surprise there. Scarlett was shyly happy about it but didn't know what to do and Jon... He was like Rogue in hating the attention they were receiving, though there were very different reasons between them for that.

When they entered 'What We Did Wrong' they sat down together, ignoring the seating plan. Rogue sat next to Benny and bumped his shoulder, grinning. The class was chatting while waiting for their teacher.

"Attention on deck!" Lieutenant Roland ordered. They all scrambled out of their seats and stood at attention as every single one of their teachers filed in and stood in front of the class.

"At ease," Captain Newman said and they all relaxed. Jon and Rogue exchanged questioning looks.

"You can all relax." The Captain smiled, "We are just here to talk to you all about graduation." The class visibly relaxed at that and slipped back into their seats. "As you all know, graduation is in three months. Despite recent events, it will be going ahead as planned. We are just going to explain a few things about how it works."