Chapter Fifteen ✓

THE NEWBIE

THE NEWBIE

THE BOY WAS ROUGHLY THROWN INTO THE SLAMMER BY TWO GLADERS. When he heard the loud lock of the door, he sat up and took a look around. He noticed sheeps, chickens, and the large grey walls which feared and concerned him. 

"Hey," a male voice said, standing in front of the Slammer. The Greenie fell back down, while Alby squatted down and looked through the door at him.

"Hey there, Greenbean," Alby said. 

"You're not gonna run again, okay? Good." With that, Alby unlocked the door and opened it wide, taking a few more steps to the Greenie.

"My name is Alby. Now can you tell me anything about yourself, who you are? Where you come from? Anything at all? Perhaps... how you know Scarlett?" Fear, anxiety, and every emotion he could feel filled his body. 

Why couldn't he remember anything? How does he know her name and nothing else?

How does he remember her name and not his very own?

His breathing was heavily when he spoke. "I.. I I can't remember anything. W-why can't I remember anything?" "It's okay," Alby said, the Greenie's breathing started to heave more and more. "Hey, relax. Relax." Alby chuckled. The Greenie looked up at him. "It's normal. It happens to us all. You should have seen Scarlett when she first came up here, she was a wreck. Some take it worse than others. You get your name back in a day or two, it's the one thing they let us keep." The Greenie looked at him. "What is this place?" Alby held out his hand for him to take. He hesitated at first, then took it, and he was being lifted out of the Slammer. 

   -

Taking a break from working with Frypan in the kitchen, Scarlett found herself walking with Newt. "Do you remember anything about him?" Newt suddenly asked. Scarlett shook her head, pursing her lips. "I don't... I don't have any idea why or how he remembers my name when I barely know anything about myself." 

Frowning, Newt wrapped a arm around her shoulder. They talked for a bit more until the two of them ran into Alby and the new Greenie.

"Oi, there you are, Alby," Newt said, smiling.

Scarlett walked behind Newt and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as the Greenie watched. She caught his eyes looking at her and she looked at him. She wanted to know how he remembered her. The thought of the unknown sucked. "Greenbean, meet Newt," Alby introduces. Newt stuck his hand out to shake the Greenies hand. "Hi," Newt said. 

"Whenever I'm not around, he's in charge. And of course you remember Scarlett, which I don't know how that's possible, but we'll figure it out later," he said. "Well, it's a good thing you're always around, then." Newt grinned at Alby.