Chapter Two ✓

THE ALMOST ESCAPE

A WORRIED JEFF LOOKED DOWN AT THE GIRL. He placed a damp cloth on her forehead and wetted the cloth again with water. "Scarlett, everything is going to change," the voice spoke again, making her gasp awake. Jeff jumped out of his seat at her sudden movement, he looked down at her with worry and concern. 

Scarlett exhaled and inhaled harshly, her anxiety was kicking in. "Is she having a panic attack?" Clint asked. Jeff nodded. "I think so."

"Hey, it's okay Greenie," Jeff said, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Breathe through your nose." The words he was saying weren't calming her down, it just made her panic even more. 

She looked around and registered where she was. It looked like she was in a medical room.

Or a place they kept their first aid supplies. She kept breathing harshly not being able to think. 

"Hey, focus, Greenie. Think of something," Jeff said. Clint stood beside him. "Think of what? What am I supposed to think about if I can't even remember my life?" She gasped for breath. Jeff tried to think of something. He then remembered what she was saying in her sleep. 

"Thomas! Who's Thomas?" Scarlett looked up at him. "Thomas?" She questioned. Different kind of thoughts went through her head. Who was he? And why was he saying his name in her sleep? "Who's that?" Jeff shook his head. "I don't know. You just kept on saying his name in your sleep." 

Scarlett looked down. "I don't know who that is," she frowned, "I don't remember." Jeff took his hands off her shoulders. "Focus on that name. Try to think of him." She did. She tried and tried. No memory of Thomas was in her head whatsoever. 

"I don't know who that is. I don't know why I was saying his name. I'm sorry." She looked down. "Hey, there's nothing to be sorry about. It happened to all of us." Jeff said. "This place isn't our home. You're not my friends, you're not gonna be my friends. I need to leave." Jeff felt hurt for a moment. 

Sure she just got here and she was confused, but saying that they weren't her friends hurt him. "You can't leave, Greenie. This is your home now. There's no escaping this place." "I- I don't believe that. There has to be a way out of here. There is a way, right?"

"Yeah, there's a way. I can't tell you about that just yet, though. That's Alby's job." Scarlett furrowed her eye-brows. 

"Alby? Who's Alby?"

"He's our leader here in the Glade. Tomorrow he'll give you a tour of the place. Not much to see, though. But we have everything we need." 

"How can you stay here? Don't you want to leave this place and go to your  home?" "Of course I do. But out there is a dangerous place. You'll understand why tomorrow. You can't know just yet." Scarlett sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Hey, Greenie," Newt said, walking in the room. 

Scarlett looked down. "How you feelin?" She shrugged. "Fine. I guess." Newt sat down next to her on the bed. "You know why you're here now, right?" She shook her head. "No. I don't know why I'm here. Who sent me here? Why? Why the hell am I here?" 

Tears fell from her eyes and Jeff placed a hand on her arm. Newt glared at him and he took it off. "We call this the Glade. We survive here, live here. We keep each other alive. You get that, Greenie?" "No. I don't get any of it. I have to leave. I need to get out of here!" Newt felt sudden sadness fill him. She can't leave. This is her home.