"Yeah, if you put it like that, it sounds crazy. But I just had a really nice evening that ended really bad."

"From dancing with prince Charming to riding an ambulance. That Loki sure knows how to entertain a lady," she says sarcastically.

"He didn't do anything wrong," I mutter, getting a little mad. "Why does everybody act like he is responsible for that attack?"

"Calm down, I didn't mean it like that," Lisa says soothing. "I know you really like him. But I also get why mom and dad were pretty mad when they found out you were shot at because of him."
She puts a plate of pasta in front of me. "Now, let's eat!"

After a few bites of pasta, I pick up the conversation again.
"Do you know what your parents said to Loki in the hospital? I have not heard from him all week, nor from the other Asgardians."

"I don't know exactly, I wasn't there," my cousin says. "But from what I heard, Loki called from the hospital and told them what happened. Mom and dad were mad and scared because you were in danger. So I guess they told Loki to stay away from you."

"And he listened to them," I sigh.

"I guess he really is a gentleman," Lisa quips, trying to cheer me up.

The next week, I still don't hear a thing from Loki. Physically, I'm feeling a lot better every day. My stitches have come out and if I'm careful what I am doing, I don't have to wear the sling anymore. I still can't read that long before the letters start dancing in front of my eyes, so I really miss my books. But I'm not that tired anymore, so mom takes me out every day. We go for walks in Central Parc, I take her up the Empire State building and we go shopping together. After a while I need to sit down, but that's just an excuse for us to go to a café and have a drink.

"I'm going back in two days," my mom says, taking a sip of her capucino. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me?"

I smile. "No, mom, I'm staying here in New York a little longer. I like it here and I want to take some courses at university after this summer."

"But you will come visit when your brother's baby is born, right?"

"Of course, mom! As soon as that little one pops out, I'll get on a plane."

We're sitting at the terrace of a café near Central Parc. Lots of people are walking by and me and my mom enjoy watching them and giving comments. "Oh, there comes a handsome man," my mom jokes, nudging my elbow.

I look in the same direction and am surprised to see it's Thor. He's walking on the other side of the street and he doesn't see us. "That's Thor, mom. The God of Thunder!"

"Really? I thought he always wore a red cape," my mom says, half as a joke, half serious.

Thor is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, looking very human. At least, if you look over the fact that he is quite large and muscular for an average man. And the eyepatch is a bit different too, although it kinda suits him. It just blends in with his face, you hardly notice it.

"I think the cape is part of his armor. Most of the time he is dressed just like everyone else."
When Thor is waiting for a red light, we see two girls walking up to him. They want to take a picture with him and he happily obliges, smiling for the camera.
"See, mom? Nothing dangerous about Thor! Or Loki, for that matter. I really don't get why I'm not allowed to see them. They're my friends!"

"I don't know, Ylva..." my mom says hesitantly.

"Come on, mom. You have met Astera, she's from Asgard too. Did she seem dangerous to you? They're just people."

My mom sighs, giving me a tired look. "Oh, alright, I guess Astera is just another girl. But you have to keep out of the spotlights! All that attention from the media for Asgard is just attracting the wrong kind of people. So no hanging out with Loki and Thor!"

And I really can't persuade her. She is adamant that I should stay away from the king and prince of Asgard. But, if I can see Astera and other less famous Asgardians, chances are I'll run into Loki anyway.

Two days later I have to say goodbye to my mom again. Lars and I take her to the airport to see her off.
"Bye honey. Take good care of yourself. Don't make me have to come back here because you are in the hospital again!"

"I promise, mom," I smile. "Have a safe trip and give William a big hug for me."

I'm sad to see my mom go. But I truly like it here in New York and I want to stay a little longer. I am more happy here then I was back in Holland. 

When we walk back to the car, Lars puts his arm around my shoulders. "It was nice to see your mom again," he says. "And I'm glad you're sticking around a while longer. We love having you with us."

"Thanks Lars, I love being with you guys too."
And I really do. I count myself lucky for having the chance to live and work in New York. This city really gave me some once in a lifetime experiences. And I never would have met Loki if I wasn't working in my aunts' coffee shop.