Ch 34: Incomplete without you

He stared at her, a sleepy look in his eyes,'' Kiran.'' He muttered, his voice raspy from the lack of use. He frowned when he tried to move his arms but he couldn't. He stifled a yawn as he remembered the events of last night, they were drunk and he had insisted on driving and then, the car...his gaze flickered to her in horror,'' Are you alright?''

His eyes took note of her face, his eyes locked on her short shoulder length hairs. She looked different, and tensed, very tense.

Kiran felt like she was in a dream, she whispered his name,'' Adiraj.''

Adiraj's eyes were glued on her face, then, he looked around the room as he tried to get up. Shocked that his body won't cooperate, he threw her a frustrated look.

Kiran held his face between her hands,'' Adiraj, don't move. You were in an accident. Do you remember?''

Adiraj nodded,'' Yes, we went out last night and then, I was over drunk and ...'' he paused,'' are you okay?''

Kiran nodded as she realised that obviously he didn't know how much time had passed, that he was unaware that he had been in coma for more than five years. She needed to call the doctors. But before that she need to calm him down. She bent and kissed him on cheek,'' Everything is alright, I promise, just relax, and you have been in a bad accident, so your body will take time to recover.''

He gazed into her eyes and nodded,'' where are dad, digvijay?''

She replied,'' digvijay is sleeping, its night, and really late. I need to call the doctors first so that they can check you.''

He nodded,'' why I am not at hospital?''

Kiran,'' Some time has passed since your accident and I wanted you home.''

His answer seemed to satisfy him,'' I am thirsty.''

She nodded and stretched to pick her phone from the side table, her eyes not leaving his face for a moment. He noted she couldn't stop staring. Even when a team of doctors came, she never left his side, holding his hand.

Doctors asked him questions after questions, then, they spoke in hushed tones with the Kiran in corner who kept holding his gaze across the room.

She nodded, briefly glanced at the head doctor and then, dismissed all of them with a polite nod. She came back to his bed, and sat down on corner; he wanted her to move closer. He tried to move his hand and his eyes fell on his own hand, it was so bony, so wasted. The next moment, her hand covered his hand forcing his gaze to her hand, he looked at her, new questions exploded in his mind. He needed to see himself.

Kiran watched emotions running past his face, the way he had looked at his hand in disbelief and horror and then, his eyes had a worried look.

Adiraj looked at her,'' I need to see myself.''

Kiran stared at him silently and calmly,'' Not yet.''

Adiraj,'' why?''

Kiran replied,'' It's been a long time Adiraj since you slept. You need to be strong, just wait until you gain your strength back. Doctors don't want you to shock yourself.'' They didn't want him to know what year it was either but she knew he was too intelligent, too observant to not realise that something was different.

Adiraj whispered,'' How long have I slept?''

Kiran replied,'' More than 5 years.''

He stared at her, his face,'' 5 years!''

Kiran nodded as she patted his hand gently,'' But you woke up Adiraj, no matter how long; you finally woke up.''

He stared back at her, then he looked away from her,'' where is dad? Why didn't you inform him.''

She looked down at her hands as she lied,'' He is away Adiraj. He can't come back right now. I hope we would wait until you got a little better.''

He frowned as he looked back at her,'' dad would be ecstatic after knowing that I am awake.''

Kiran nodded,'' Okay, but can we wait till morning?''

Adiraj didn't say anything. It was too much for him to assimilate.

Kiran hoped that he wouldn't hate her for lying but she couldn't risk telling about Abhinav's death.

She laid on the bed and popped herself on elbow staring at him. Adiraj swallowed, he avoided looking at her, how he must appear to her? he felt a wave of humiliation, he tried to swallow it.

Then, he felt her touch on his jaw and looked at her. She looked at him like she had always did, a look filled with bit of infatuation, a bit of madness and a lot of love but today the way she touched him, it was so tender like he would break if she exerted a little pressure,'' Thank you Adiraj.''

He was confused,'' thanks for what?''

She smiled, those big eyes almost glinting like diamonds with happiness,'' For coming back. I really missed you.''

Her soft confession washed away all humiliation, all questions, everything,'' Really? Missed me?''

She nodded,'' when I breathed, when I opened my eyes, when I closed them, when I cried, when I laughed, when I celebrated, when I mourned, every moment Adiraj it was incomplete without you.''

A shy smile came on his face and the little gesture changed his whole face, suddenly she could see the vestiges of old Adiraj peeking at her through that smile. The man who had made her fall in love with him just by laughing.

Kiran confessed as tears fell down her eyes, but these were happy tears,'' You know Mr Raizada, I am utterly madly in love with you and your smile.''

His eyes now flowing with emotions too, he whispered,'' And I have always been in love with your madness for me.''

Both laid there, staring at each other as moments passed. They let their eyes talk as they stared at each other.

...