Ch 30: Father or husband?

Abhinav tried to come over every weekend to meet digvijay and to spend time with Adiraj and Kiran.

This time on his visit, he commented on Kiran's superb Chinese skills, he wanted to know more about her linguistic abilities. She had happily told him everything. Abhinav had been deep in thought after hearing it. Next time when he came, he had brought the project file for one of his new hotels, he had wanted to ask Kiran's opinion on it. Kiran had been glad, they had discussed it as Adiraj had been cooking dinner for them. (He always cooked on weekends.)

Now, Kiran really looked forward to Abhinav's visits, it was like her thirsty brain was given water. She lapped up new information. What was new construction material, what was the latest hotel trend, who was building what and where?, Which country was rising in tourism and hence held scope for investment.

When Adiraj became aware of their discussions, he had frowned but said nothing to her but she knew he was not really happy.

Slowly Kiran gathered the information she needed for Singhania hotel project in China. She went to meet her dad's secretary too to discuss the project. She didn't know why she kept it away from Adiraj, may be she was afraid that he would react strongly and she didn't want to fight with him.

Yet one day, her bubble burst and he found out. Abhinav had been hiding her activities from Adiraj but Adiraj found the file.

It had been sudden. She had come in her room after digvijay slept to find Adiraj sitting on sofa reading the file. She knew straightaway which file it was because the file cover picture was the picture of her father.

He had put the file on table and stared at her across the room. They had looking at each other without blinking. His eyes had held accusion  while hers were calm.

He had gotten up from sofa and walked over to her. She never looked away. He had moved closer until he was staring down at her because of his height and she had to crane her neck up to look at him.

Neither of them had looked away.

He was the one break the silence, ' I won't allow it.''

Kiran replied,'' It was my dad's dream Adiraj.''

Adiraj measured his words before speaking, his voice was kind'' What he dreamt, this project can never fulfill it. You know it. I know it. Let's end it here.''

Kiran felt the lump of tears in her throat but her voice was strong,'' I want it to be a monument to him. I want to do what little I can do. I love you Adiraj. I love you so much. Can't I love him a little bit too? My whole life is for you. Just give me one year and I promise, we would never need to have same discussion.''

Adiraj told her the truth,'' it's in your blood Kiran, like it's in mine. If you had a taste of it, you will never let it go. It will be one project at first, then you will find something else interesting and before you knew it, work will become your life, not me and digvijay.''

Kiran implored him softly,'' Trust me. Just trust me once. I am only doing it for him. I am not like your mom Adiraj.''

Adiraj leaned over and put his forehead against hers closing his eyes,'' I know but I made a promise to myself long before you came into my life that I would never let my child go through what I faced. He will have the love of both parents. The one thing I lacked in this world was a mother's love and I want to give that to my child. I want you to be there for him. I want you to be here for me. Please understand.''

Kiran,'' He was my father Adiraj.''

Adiraj pulled her into his arms,'' I will do this project for you, exactly the way you want it. Each and everything, it would be like the way you want, I will follow that file completely but I want you here with me and Digvijay.''

Kiran,'' Then, come to china with me, both of you.''

Adiraj,'' I have too many commitments here. I can't do it Kiran. ' he paused,'' I will not do it even if I can. You promised me that you will accept me as I am and I don't want my wife to work. You knew it. I am insecure, I am broken, I am mad when it comes to this issue.''

Kiran closed her eyes as she recognized the truth he was telling, he would never allow it and deep inside she knew it. Now, the question was would she leave him and go to china against his wishes?

He picked her up in his arms and carried her to bed. He laid her down on bed and then sat on floor beside the bed. He stared at her with worried eyes knowing that she could chose to leave him. His face was full of fear.

She just stared at his face where a childhood full of fears had left the imprints. If she left him today, then it would be never same, the trust she was trying to foster in him forever broken. Because no matter the reason, she would be leaving him and that was the bottom line for him. That one fact will triumph over everything else for him.

He sat there for hours just staring at her and she let him,waiting to see if he will get tired but he never did. Finally, she got up and put her arms around him,'' I won't go.'' That one sentence was hard to say but she did because she had chosen him again over her father.

Adiraj let her hug him, his body finally relaxing, his mind still trapped into the memories of the past.

He whispered,'' I will complete the project for you.''

She refused,'' No, Adiraj leave it, if I can't do it then this project will never be done.''

Adiraj frowned,''but..''

Kiran closed her eyes,'' let's end it here Adiraj for forever. Please, don't ever bring it up again.''

...

Next weekend when Abhinav came and he tried to discuss things with Kiran she changed the topic again and again until he got the hint.

When she left to get something from inside, he looked at his son in reproach,'' You are not god Adiraj, stop trying to manage people into the way you think is correct. Just let it be. Can't you see she is very talented? And intelligent?

She is trapped in this house caring for a baby with an army of nannies. Does she really need to be here all the time?''

Adiraj bluntly told him,'' Then, you should have stopped mom. She just left us and you couldn't do anything. I am not weak like you. If Kiran left this place, she will never come back.''

Abhinav angrily retorted,'' Stopped her? how damn it? how? She was a grown up woman with goals in life which never included you and me. Why would I have forced myself and you to suffer in a relationship which was just not there? It was the best thing which happened. You are so like her even when she never met you. God know what would have happened if she actually had a part in your upbringing.''

Adiraj looked away,'' dad I think we should both stop or we would say something we will both regret later.''

Abhinav sighed,'' value her Adiraj please. She really loves you, love her back and trust her.''

Adiraj got up from the chair angrily, he closed his eyes but tears still fell from his eyes,'' I can't dad. I can't trust her, I just can't'' his voice broke at the last word. Abhinav closed his eyes, he didn't want to hurt Adiraj. He got up and patted him on shoulder,'' I am sorry. Let's just drop this topic.''

...