Ch 1: Found you

Few years later, January 2018

Kiran tiredly sat down on a bench but within seconds another child ran toward her with balloons in hand.

Child: Teacher, I want to tie these to that chair.

Kiran got up and helped the child tie the balloons. She had not eaten anything for breakfast and it was already 4 in noon. She wanted to go to her room and lie down but that wasn't possible. This charity function was organised by the same welfare organisation which provided her Shelter and work, and function won't end until 5 in the evening.

She saw one of the balloon wasn't tied properly and bent to open the thread and re-tie it. This lifted her sleeves and a big scar on right arm was visible. The child looked at it curiously. Kiran ignored it. She was now used to the scar.

After an hour the function finally finished, leaving it to one of her colleague Mahesh to sort up the wrapping she went to the room She rented two blocks away. The alleyways were narrow, the houses old and in much need of repair.

She went into the building in which her room was and climbed up the stairs. She opened the door lock with keys knowing deep down that one hard push by a man would knock this door down. But still She locked the door when she went in. Tired She laid down on the bed and thought what to cook. Having no energy she just grabbed a slice of bread and ate it.

She looked at the tiny room with small washroom where 2 people cannot even stand. There was a small fridge in corner with a stove on top. It wasn't safe but that was the only place she could put it. Her small bed occupied most of the room. She looked around in misery but deep down she knew she could never go back to her father.

If she had not met him, if she had not fallen for that laugh, would her life be easier, different than now? She did not know. She sighed and closed her eyes.

.

... ...

In the morning, She got up ready to go to school run by the organisation. Her foot steps were quick as she focused on things she needed to do today. She was totally unaware of the man taking her pictures.

... ... ...

After teaching her third class She went back to faculty room. The faculty in this school was a mismatch of people, some here were people from good social background who volunteered to teach children, some wanted teaching experience and some, like her, needed it to survive.

After running away from home with no Identification, only this organisation had been willing to help her secure a job and place to live. She was pretending to have a memory loss. She had been provided a temporary id with name anushka. She did not mind it, She never wanted to be found.

She was pouring water from dispenser when Mahesh came over to her.

Mahesh: Anu how did your class went?

Kiran had given up on trying to stop him from calling her anu.

Kiran: It was okay. That boy rohail is big trouble. He bully other kids even in front of me. Don't know what is his problem.

Mahesh: Other teachers are reporting same thing. We may need to expel him but that means he will have no where to go.

Kiran: He need to realize that himself.

Mahesh shook his head and said: let's wait for committee to make a decision. Are you free after this? We are all going to local cafe for coffee. My treat!

Kiran agreed. She had no money of her own and her colleagues knew it.

... ... ...

There were ten of her colleagues with her, everyone settled down in little groups. She sat down with Mahesh on one of the table with her coffee. She loved the aroma of fresh coffee. She took a sip and felt happy.