Chapter 37

Hey guys

Forræder : Traitor

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 37

       I was torn from the memory as fast as I had been thrown into it, my breath tearing from my lungs in a hoarse gasp. It had felt so real, the first time I met Adranus- it was like I had relived it all over again. And the power, I had used it before. He showed me how to, taught me how to. I-I just couldn't remember how.

       But I could use it to get out- to destroy them all. Adie said I could. I just... I just needed to remember.

       Lightning struck the ground again, this time barely a few yards from the platform. It was getting closer, so close I could feel the heat against my skin. I had to choke down a scream.

       Now wasn't the time for a panic attack, no matter how badly one wanted to rack through me. I forced my eyes from the burning ground the lightning bolt had caused, and watched the light slipping from my fingertips- felt its power as it tugged at my chest.

       For once, I needed it for myself. Needed it to save me, even if it seemed to have a vendetta against that. The power flickered upward, slowly licking at the top of my hands before it disappeared into the machine. More, I needed more. I had to overpower the pull of the metal, and I had to do it fast.

       I closed my eyes, let out a deep breath, and thought of the one person my soul seemed to crave the most. I needed to remember how he was when they returned from the Galacian Islands. Lying unconscious in the middle of the castle. Hysterical, bloody- dying.

       Just remembering it made my heart ache, made my chest clench painfully. The power reared inside me, surging quickly from my chest to my fingertips. It didn't like the memory either. Save him, always save him. It never mattered what happened to me, only Eirik.

       My headache from before grew and my eyes kept shifting in and out of focus. I didn't... I didn't feel so good. I strained my eyes as much as I could to watch the light flowing from my hands grow until it overpowered the absorption of the machine.

       The hot light of the power surged over the back of my hand and up my forearms as the howling thunder grew. The ruby against my chest warmed the louder the storm screamed. The lightning was coming, I could feel it. I started to panic as the light finally reached the bindings, its heat growing as it began to eat at the leather. If I didn't escape in time, I was toast- literally.

       The relief that hit me the second my right arm tore through the badly burnt leather, quickly disappeared as Liberius shouted something below and light began to illuminate the sky. I held in a scream and hurriedly undid the strap around my other arm before tugging at the one around my stomach.

       This was so not good.

       A howl rose in the distance, one that shook through every inch of me. It was so loud, so terrifying, that the storm even seemed to pause for a moment. Even the shadows surrounding the clearing stilled, their dark forms slithering in and out of focus. Then they grew, quickly swirling in an even larger, more vicious mass.

       That panic rose in my chest again.

       "He's coming..." I vaguely heard Liberius shout as the lightning started to build once again.