Chapter 6

Hey guys!

Please Comment, Vote, and Follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 6

       The next morning was cold, and dark. A few guards from the village helped Leikos, Mae and I down to the docks, but didn't stay long. The ship that waited patiently in the water once belonged to their parents, but after their death Lei sold it to a family of merchants who traded around the ocean at the base of the mountain. They were kind enough to give us passage to the Lower Kingdom every year.

       "We have a few minutes to spare if you and Mae want to walk around the shops." Lei announced after he and the guards finished loading our bags. I shot him a smile.

       "By ourselves?" The guards had dispersed a few minutes before, and I was more than excited for my much-awaited freedom. He rolled his eyes before letting their dark gaze land on me.

       "Yes, only for a minute or two. Be back shortly."

       "Thanks Lei!" Mae cheered before grabbing onto my hand and leading me over to the shops along the shore-front that were just now opening for the day. He laughed softly after us. "This is so exciting!" She practically squealed as we walked along the displays sitting in front of the stores. "I just love going to the Lower Kingdom! Don't you? I hate the snow. It's always so cold and wet-"

       "Ow." I stuttered when a large, cloaked figure suddenly bumped against my side. It was too early in the morning for the coastal villagers to be out and about, and there was more than enough room on the streets. There was no reason for someone to be that rude and walk so close. I grasped at my shoulder and snapped my gaze over to the culprit.

       "Forgive me, my lady." It was a male voice, one masked by the heavy hood that blocked the stranger's face from view. I simply nodded as he gave me a soft bow before turning around and heading quickly in the opposite direction.

       How odd.

       "Emrie? Are you okay?" Mae asked worriedly as I rubbed absentmindedly at my arm.

       "Y-yeah, he just sort-of surprised me."

       A flash of blue and a strong tug in my chest caused my breath to catch in my throat before the man disappeared around a corner and into the thick morning fog. My eyes widened. "I-I'll be right back." I breathed out heavily before leaving Mae staring dumbfoundedly after me. I followed the path of the cloaked stranger, the one who shot lightening blue eyes at me right before he turned.

       Perhaps I was just seeing things I desperately wished were there, but that part of me that seemed tied to the King was begging me to find out. There was no one there when I turned the corner, just a dark alley that led to a dead end. I frowned. I could have sworn I saw the man turn down here.

       I sighed and turned around. Great, now my mind was making up fabrications of him. I was never going to be able to get him out of my head- I gasped when the cloaked figure from before suddenly flashed in front of me, and gently forced me back into alley.

       Yes, gently.

       "Hey-!" A pair of blue eyes so bright they shone against the darkness of the morning caused my voice to freeze in the air. I couldn't move, couldn't speak, all I could do was stare up at him- at those eyes, in a daze like before. We stood there silently for a few moments, like we always seemed to do before anything really happened.