Chapter 1

Hey guys! So, if you've read my other books you'll soon realize this is nothing like them. But I hope you still enjoy! 

Please Comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar, editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 1

       "We shouldn't be here." Mae groaned as we crouched lower under the bush just outside the soldier's eyesight.

       "Shush." I hissed under my breath and shot her a glare before turning my gaze back on the small squadron jogging pass. They were the border patrol, and with how heightened and trained their sense were- I was surprised they hadn't caught us. "Do you want to see him or not?" I grumbled when the patrol was far enough out of hearing range.

       "Yes, but not at this risk-!"

       "This is the only way, Mae. It's not like he's going to pay a peaceful visit to the village anytime soon."

       I could feel her nervous, crouched figure shuffling behind me, but I tried not to take my attention too far away from our situation. I could lie to her all I wanted, but there was no hiding the truth from myself. This was a bad idea. And we were too far into his territory to turn and make a run for it now.

       It was almost mid-day, and we would have to wait at least six more hours until nightfall. That was the only chance we had at making it back down the mountain without getting caught.

       "We shouldn't have done this." She groaned as I slowly rose from my crouched position behind the leafy bush, the heavy skirts of my dress catching on the sharp twigs. Perhaps I should have stolen some of Leikos's pants for this little adventure.

       I glanced carefully over the leafy bush that had provided our much-needed hiding spot, and could just barely make out the tops of his castle over the tree tops. "Maybe we should just head back, Emrie." The grip Mae had on my sleeve tightened, by I ignored the frightened and stressed tone in her voice. She was right, but that didn't mean I wanted to leave.

       "We are so close. I can see his castle." I whispered in something close to awe as I double checked the tiny dirt path before crawling out from under the bush- Mae reluctantly followed behind me. "We'll head back as soon as the sun sets. I promise." I gave her a small smile that she tried to return, but I could see the fear and worry in her eyes.

       I had no doubt that the rumors circling around the King of the North were true, and none of them were pleasant. I honestly didn't know what drove me to suggest our little adventure up the mountain and into his territory- I really didn't. The stories of what he did to simple travelers that stumbled across his land were horrifying enough. I didn't want to think about what he would do to us.

       "He'll eat the raw flesh from our bones Em!" Mae's tone trembled as she voiced the very thing I was thinking- but hearing it out loud just made me laugh. Out in the air, that idea sounded ridiculous. Not even wolf-bornes could do that, right?

       "Yes, and he will also make soup with our blood and liver." I snickered at the horrified look that crossed her face and shook my head. She was too easy sometimes. "Relax Mae, those are just stories. I highly doubt that they're true."

       She didn't look convinced, and if anything- she only seemed to be turning greener by the minute. I rolled my eyes and turned back towards the path. She was such a worry wart sometimes.