Chapter 6

BLAKE

Mer has been in and out of sleep over the past few days. She's making progress everyday and her story has unfortunately attracted quite some media attention. Luckily no one knows who the patient is exactly in the news so that part of her identity is concealed . I am glad that her life isn't being exploited on the media. She hasn't attempted speaking again since her first attempt. She simply just stares into space most of the times until she drifts back to sleep. The doctors suggested we do things she liked doing. Currently I am reading a book 'Until it ends', her favorite book since we were teenagers. She made me read it over and over again to her growing up. I haven't read it in years and I had to drop in at a bookstore to see if they had it. Suprisingly they did. 

I can tell she's listening to me when I read because she looks at me with occasional brow furrowing but still her mouth remains shut without ever moving.  Sometimes I look back at her too and we just look at each other in silence until she gives up and closes her eyes or looks away. Rose is usually with her during the day and I come to visit after work and stay with her until a little past midnight. Tonight it's the same thing as everyday. I'm sitting next to her bed reading the book. She's looking at me today with brows furrowed. I occasionally glance at her but she maintains that same facial expression. I finished the book and since I forgot to get another one on my way here I'm re-reading it again. She's still staring at me with brows furrowed

" God stop" she says groggily but stern enough. 

" You're speaking " I say visibly glad to hear her talk again. 

She nods to say yes.

She stares at me for a while and I stare back. I see tears start to swell up in my eyes. She's now crying. 

"I thought I lost you" she says quietly enough for only me to hear. 

"I thought I lost you" she repeats even quieter  intended for only her to hear

And that's when it clicked to me. She was referring to him. The one she loved. The one who was always there for her. The one who realized how special she was. The one that proposed to her, that wanted to marry her. He was the one that was driving that night. He  was the one that didn't see the runaway truck and darn it, He was the one that couldn't be here. But yet she was asking for me.

She looked at me like the way she always looked at him . Like he was the physical embodiment of her world. She looked at me like she didn't care about anything anymore. Like my presence had some sort of calming effect on her. She now looked at ease. I kept quiet for a while waiting for her to realize that it wasn't Blake she wanted. That the one she wanted was him and that he wasn't here, but she didn't, she smiled at me like I was the only one she wanted. The only one she needed. 

"I've missed you so much Blake,"she said as she let out a sigh like she had been holding it in for so long. I could see she was in so much pain because she struggled even when she was talking. She didn't deserve this.

"I've missed you too," I said grabbing her hand. 

I had missed her. I had missed her since the day I lost her.  She gave my hand a tight squeeze and I saw her turn her head and close her eyes. 

"I'm glad you're here" 

" I'm really glad you're here" 

She said this quietly and I couldn't figure out if it was for me or only for her to hear. She soon fell asleep. Mer looked beautiful. It was like life had been breathed back into her. I watched her nostrils flare up and down everytime she breathed in and out. I watched her chest go up and down. I could see the color in her skin. She wasn't as pale and lifeless as she was during her period in a coma. She was almost the old Mer I knew. The old Mer that was so full of life, too much for this small world. I held her hand and watched her.

Hey guys, thank you for reading, Please vote. Have a great day!