Echos

(Also added in a writing contest)

The house was a small, cutesy 2-story just on the outskirts of town. The beige color seemed to blend in around the sunset sky, the clouds adding on a wispy texture to match the porch and shutters. It was stuck smack-dab in the middle of the woods, with a gravel road driveway and a mile ride to the nearest bit of asphalt.

As they parked their SUV in front of the house, Agatha felt an odd urge toward it. The energy for whatever lingered inside was calling to her.

The echos rippled through her in wavelengths, causing shivers to run down her spine. Her eyes darted to ever nook and cranny, taking in every little detail; the cobwebs on the stairs, the cracks in the steps, the broken shutters.

The house was a wreck.

She could see little blue dots glowing on the surface of the wood. They formed odd shapes, like hands or arms or even silhouettes.

She looked back down to Spiritual Echos by John Peerson and flipped to the table of contents.

Flashes, flashes flashes. Where were the flashes?

Small flashes, or balls of light on a surface forming shapes or blobs are considered to be Spiritual Footprints, which are left when a spirit has crossed through that barrier or has touched it at some instance within the last few hours.

She groaned and shut the book, letting the information seep into her skull as a headache formed at her temples.

"Well, Honey. We are here!" Agatha's mother said in an oddly drained, un-cheery voice. It was odd, not hearing her as perky as usual.

She took a moment to look at her father in the passenger side rear-view mirror. He looked cautious, like something either could happen or was going to.

Feeling awkward and out of place, Agatha climbed out of the car and smelled in the mildewy, clean air.

She'd hated it immediately. She missed her home in the city. But, more importantly, she missed Wyn.

Wyn was not just Agatha's girlfriend, but her best friend. She was the only one who knew about the Echos. She hasn't even had the balls to tell her parents, but Wyn she could tell everything to.

"What do you think, Honey?" Her father asked, following suit.

"I think you bought us a piece of shit." Agatha mumbled.

Richard pointed a warning finger, "What did I tell you about that mouth of yours?"

She sighed and held her book tighter to her chest. Her father pulled his finger back and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a long, sleek and shiny black key.

Agatha's stomach let out a deep growl; as if to tell her she was making a mistake ignoring the everyday pleasantries. She felt weak in the knees, but ignored it as her mother and her followed Richard.

Freida was your typical "pretty-perfect" woman. She hid behind a facade that everyone could see. Her and her daughter could have been twins, with the only difference between them being their eyes. They both had long, sleek black hair, pale skin, and thin bones.

Both Freida and Richard had dark brown eyes, but, for some odd reason, Agatha's were inhumanly blue...

Which came with the Echos; the ability to see spirit tracks and "footprints" with her human, naked eye. She always s steered clear of them, out of fear of what could happen if she were to touch one.