I snapped my head to the side, my eyes wide in fear as dark shadows flew beside us. Dark shadows that slowly began to swim throughout the entire clearing, hard, demonic red eyes glowing through the swarm. They looked nothing like the ruby red of the God I once loved. Still loved... I-I think.

       I didn't think it was possible for the panic in my chest to grow anymore, but my heart raced unbearably hard in my chest every time one of those shadows flashed beside us. What were those things?

       "Don't mind them." Liberius said on a laugh as he continued to pull us towards the metal contraption standing ferociously in front of us. It was rather short, just a few inches taller than me as it sat on a raised platform with thick, clunky metals arms reaching out towards the trees- thick, leather straps sat heavily wrapped around them.

       I gulped. How much did I want to bet those straps were for me?

       "They're just here to make sure we aren't interrupted."

       North. They were there to stop Eirik if he somehow found us, something I had wanted more than anything. Then those shadows moved again, dark fog falling away into sharp talons and even sharper fangs. Fear shot down my spine.

       No, no Eirik couldn't find me. I didn't want him to. I wanted him to stay so far away none of those demons would ever touch him. Besides, if Liberius's plan was successful and actually did summon Addie to us, he was a god. He could take care of himself, those demons would only kill North. My life wasn't worth that.

       "What is that?" I demanded as his vicious grip finally pulled me to the front of the horrid metal thing. The smile he shot my way was sickening, and I tripped over my dress skirts as he started dragging me along the platform's steps.

       "Just a fun little machine that will help that shy power of yours come out and play."

       My eyes snapped to his, and my chest tightened as that very power seemed to curl inside me. The ruby warmed against my chest. The gold-power... that was what this was about. Then I wanted to slap my palm over my forehead and curse. Of course, this was all about that disastrous power. The essence of Adranus's star- of Emerense.

       I knew that now. Knew it wasn't magic or power at all, but her soul- my soul. It was why it always desperately tried to reach Eirik, why it tried to leave my body to go to his. It wanted his soul, wanted that part of him that was attached to the eternal being it so loved. I shouldn't have been able to control it as I had in the past, because it was me. My very being.

       And the direct link Liberius needed to Adranus.

       I hadn't realized he had successfully pulled me up the platform towards the machine until I was shoved against the cold, hard, metal of its grasp. This thing, whatever it was, had the ability to drag out my soul, to use it against my will, and I had a sickening feeling it wasn't going to be pleasant.

       I shoved against him again, pushed at his thin shoulders and wiry arms as hard as I could. He was not human, nor shifter, there was no possible way. No one who appeared so feeble but had the strength of ten men as he did was mortal.

       "Let me go!" I screamed against the howling wind of the storm, against the hissing shadows swirling below us- their bodies taking shapes of massive serpent-like creatures before fading again into a solid, red-eyed mass.

       "I said stop struggling." Liberius hissed, his sharp, bony fingers digging into my arms as he shook my body so hard my head snapped back against the body of the machine. My vision went blurry, and white sparks danced behind my eyelids as I let out a long, pained groan.