Chapter 18

After washing my hair and entire body, I drain the tub and change into fresh new clothes: jeans, a plain hoodie and my beloved boots. Everest and I lounge on the couch as we wait for Rowan, who I am beginning to worry about. He has been gone a long time, too long for him to be just getting breakfast.  

   Just when I'm about to get up and go find him, the door to my bedroom opens up, and a tall, muscular man walks in, holding a tray in his hand. It's Rowan, bringing breakfast, just as Everest said. 

   His dark hair is clean and brushed towards the side, looking perfectly natural. He must've taken a shower before going out. He's wearing dark pants, a shirt and boots, his usual attire. When he turns around after closing the door, he sees me on the couch across the room and smiles, his entire face lighting up.

   "Good morning," Rowan strides over towards me, grinning. I sit up.

   "Morning," I say, taking the tray from his hands. Rowan's grin only grows as he bends down and kisses my forehead gently. "Where have you been?" The tray is piled with pancakes, my favorite, fresh berries, a juice of sorts, and some pastries. My mouth waters at the sight, the aroma filling my nose.

   "I just went out to get you food, Aurae," Rowan says, plopping down beside me, leaning his head back and stretching his arm around my shoulders.

   "But you were gone an awfully long time," I point out, already shoving pancakes coated in syrup into my mouth.

   "Um, I kind of ran into your brother," Rowan mumbles, scooting closer to me. I freeze, my fork inches away from my mouth.

   "Which brother? What happened?"

   "It was Nesterin, and nothing really happened. There's something about him, as if he's not really like the rest of your family. I think he has a good heart," Rowan tells me, looking thoughtful. I consider his words. Nesterin always has been different from the rest of my brothers, but I always thought he was just shy, not as expressive. It's been on my mind though, the thought that maybe he isn't corrupt with greed and evil, much like my father and other brothers.

   "Anyways, he told me that King Etrrian has asked us all to attend a banquet tonight. Your father, brothers and you. He said it'll be a dinner with the king and his family, just to get accustomed to everyone. It...it could be the perfect time for our plane, Aurae," Rowan looks me in the eyes, his pine green irises sucking the life out of me as I look at him. 

   A dinner banquet? Could that really be the right time? Am I ready? Tonight? Oh lord.

   "Are you invited to the dinner?" I ask him.

   "Well, Nesterin says that King Morwenys obviously doesn't want me to attend, but because everyone here in the palace thinks I'm your bodyguard, I'm invited." That's good; I need Rowan there.

   "I thought our plan was to speak with King Etrrian first, to make him understand what we're doing and so that he could assist us," Everest jumps in suddenly, stretched out on the ground at my feet. I translate Everest's words for Rowan.

   "Yes Ev, that's the plan, but that leaves us very little time," I reply, meeting his sapphire eyes. "Is there no other day?"

   "Not that I know of," Rowan replies. "What is this is our only chance? What if we don't get another time to do something? If we don't act now, we may never be able to." I let my head fall into my hands, running everything through my brain, trying to find another option. Of course, Rowan is right. There may never be another chance for us to end my father's reign.

   "What time is the banquet?" I ask, sitting up and holding my head high, keeping my voice steady to show them both that I can do this, whether or not I think that myself. I need to do this. It's no longer a choice.