Chapter 4

Aurae's POV

   "Hello people of Graeweth," I begin, looking around at the people, standing tall. "My name is Aurae Morwenys, as many of you know. Last night, I released twenty three prisoners from Chastershire's dungeon." The crowd all gasp and whispers rise up, people looking around frantically. I know that any second I will be dragged off by my family. "They were unrighteously convicted. I hope that you will take them in and give them all the care and kindness they deserve. Thank you everyone...and please stay safe and stay strong. Good things are coming, I promise you!" I wasn't quite finished with my speech, but then Dorane and Lyklor are at my side, grabbing ahold of me roughly and pulling me into the castle.

   The crowd is going crazy, shouts rising into the air. I see lots of people angrily stampeding forwards towards the castle doors. Guards leap out of nowhere and the soldiers scatter, all of them pushing the crowd back. My hearts leaps into the air when I realize they're on my side. They heard me and are prepared to fight for their kingdom. I don't struggle against my brothers, knowing it will be no use. The castle doors slam shut thanks to Rilitar and my father wheels on me as Dorane tosses me to the ground. Rilitar scurries away, not wanting to be present for what comes next.

   "What the hell was that Aurae?!" Vulen explodes, his face red with fury. My brothers tak position beside him, all looking equally mad. Anger radiates off them, but I stand, not falling under their presence. "You released the prisoners?!" My brothers don't speak, but Dorane lays a hand on my father's shoulder tentatively.

   "Father, we must address this issue later. The soldiers are heading to the courtyard now; we must follow tradition and meet them," he says. After a moment, my father steps back and nods.

   "You'll get what's coming for you Aurae," he promises before stalking off towards the courtyard, Dorane right behind him. Oacenth and Lyklor also leave, but Nesterin stays behind.

   "You freed them?" He asks softly, not even angry. I notice he doesn't say let them go or anything, but freed instead. Nesterin has always distanced himself from all of us, even when our mother was still alive. He used to help me with my studies, but that was all I really ever interacted with him. I nod, but say nothing. Nesterin looks thoughtful before his face masks his emotion as always and he turns stoic.

   "We best head to the courtyard now," he merely tells me before walking off down the hallway. I'm confused by his actions, but follow him.

   The courtyard is surrounded by the castle's stone walls, with no roof over it. A large cobblestone circle is in the middle and green grass surrounds it, covered in snow right now. Fruit trees speckle the area as well. The soldiers are lined up in the circle with my family in the same position as they were before on the stairs. I stand beside Lyklor, not behind him this time though, but at his side, standing proud. The soldiers weren't there for my speech; they know nothing of it, so I am allowed to meet them as well. 

   As tradition states, my family and I will line up in order of age and walk down each row, shaking the hands of the men and saying hello. Then, the soldiers head over to the barracks and the royal family splits up, heading their separate ways. I'll probably be dragged off to the dungeon or somewhere for my punishment, likely whipping.

   We line up, me last and my father first. We start at the first line of five and make our way down, shaking the hands of the men saying 'hello and thank you'. The men seem nice enough, some of them serious and others will warm smiles. A couple of them have trailing eyes that look my body up and down, and when they do, I dig my nails into their hands, showing them I notice and I don't like it.