Chapter 13

Aurae's POV

   In seconds, I burst out of the trees and let out a massive roar that shakes the ground. Movement seems to stop, all eyes turning towards me, who's standing on my hind legs with my teeth bared and claws extended. Then, fighting continues. 

   I spot Rowan fighting a bandit on horseback. I watch in awe as Rowan gathers yellow orange fire in his hands and shoots the fire towards the bandit, who screams in terror before the flames consume him. The charred body falls to the ground, landing in the snow and the white horse gallops away, soot stains on its fur.

   Anger fills me, churning in my stomach as I bound forward, into the mess of people. Another roar flows out of my mouth as I head towards a bandit on horseback. Soldiers back away, not wanting to get involved, as I leap into the air, lunging at the man, who's wide eyed and stock still. My claws rip into his shoulders, shooting red blood everywhere as I tear the man off his horse and onto the ground, landing on top of him. 

   In one swift movement, I grasp his head in my enormous mouth and crack it like an egg, the copper taste of blood coating my tongue. I spit it out, staining the snow, and wheel around, crouching low. The soldiers are gaping and staring, no one saying anything, but they scramble backwards as I turn in a circle, the body at my feet.

   Done with this, I lope over towards the next bandit, killing him as well. I hate killing however and say the words of kindness that my mother taught me, Hassan ali comnea, for the dead, no matter if they were my enemies. After I kill two more bandits, their comrades seem to grasp the fact that they're not going to win this battle and leap onto their horses, galloping off the way we came. I spit blood and snow out of my mouth, feeling the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

   Things have partially calmed down now, with soldiers catching loose horses and tending to the injured. I move through the crowd, which parts for me, looking for Rowan. I realize how confused these men must be, seeing a grizzly bear come out of the woods and kill four bandits, but no soldiers. Luckily, there's no way they can connect me to any of it. 

   I spot Rowan, who is a ways off, crouched over a body on the snow. I recognize the green outfit as a soldier and say a few words of kindness for him before turning and running into the woods the way I came, knowing Rowan will find me there.

   I shift back into my human form after rolling in the snow to clean myself. My clothes return to my body and I'm thankful that the snow is wet here, for I am clean of blood now. Blade is where I left him tied to a tree and I check over him, making sure he's unharmed. I wonder where Fleetfire is; I know he's close by because he wouldn't stray away from me, but I haven't seen him.

   "Aurae!" I wheel around at Rowan's voice. He stands feet away, concern written on his face clear as day. He only opens up to me, letting me read his emotions, which makes my heart swell any other time than now because I know he's angry with me. Rowan looks me up and down, scanning me for any injuries, before running toward me and wrapping me in a tight embrace. I hug him back, burying my head in his chest and breathing in his scent, calming myself.

   "What the hell?!" Rowan pulls back and I brace myself for the anger that it is now to come. "I told you to stay in the woods! I told you to wait!" His face is red with anger and I lay my hand on his arm to calm him.

   "Rowan, I couldn't just stand here and let you fight. Fight for my people. I had to do something. No one knows the bear was me and I didn't get hurt, not a scratch," I gesture at my unharmed body as evidence. "I've fought all my life, physically, emotionally and mentally. But now I have someone to fight for. I always had Everest, yes, but he never needed me to fight any battles with him. And now that I have that chance, I'm going to take it. To fight for someone I love is something that I really-"

   "You love me?" Rowan interrupts, his eyes reading my face for the answer. I look down at the snow. That wasn't supposed to come out, not like that at least.

   "Yes," I breathe, finally dragging my eyes back up to meet his.

   "I want to hear you say it," he urges me, his hands on my waist and his voice gentle and calm. This man's mood swings kill me, it's gotta be like parkour for him, jumping from one emotion to the next. 

   "Rowan, I love you," I tell him firmly, nearly choking on emotion as I look him right in those green eyes of his. His mouth quirks up into a huge toothy grin.

   "Aurae, I love you too," he replies and then smashes his lips down on mine, pulling me closer until we're pressed against each other, kissing for everything we have, which is now more than anything I've ever had in my entire life. I have Rowan, Everest, Fleetfire, Blade, Eldrin, Feno, Alwin, the castle servants, and that's plenty enough for me. 

Rowan's POV

   I've loved her since the first day I laid eyes on her. I may not have known it, but she was the only one I thought about that day. If it wasn't for her, I would have killed myself while in the dungeon. But the mere thought of her, the image of her, kept me alive. I love everything about her and I always will. 

   And now, knowing she loves me back...nothing has ever felt so good, so right. I'm flying, soaring, high above the clouds. I never want this feeling to go away, this moment to end.