Chapter 16

"You might want to watch yourself, lover boy," Dorane taunts as he exits the tent after us, his face twisted into a sneer. "Or else you may start a wildfire." Oacenth laughs out loud at the joke, which isn't even funny, or good enough to be considered a joke. I turn and face my brother who's behind me, my fists clenched at my sides. Mere weeks ago I wouldn't have even been able to stand up to my family like this, but something about having Rowan at my side allows me to find the courage.

   "Oh, shut the fuck up," I scoff. "No one cares about what you have to say. If you really want to try out your potty mouth, you can take it back to your own tent where no one else has to hear the disasters you call insults."

   "Careful Aurae or else I'll -" Dorane starts towards me, looking quite angry, but I cut him off.

   "God, your breath stinks! Must be from all the shit spewing out of your mouth. Now, Dorane, your dick," I gesture to his crotch area, cringing at the thought of that, "belongs down there, not in your personality. So I suggest you pull it out of your ass and straighten yourself out. Well, that's if you can even see it, it is so small after all." I hate the thought of that part of him, but any insult directed at a man's private part will send him spiraling into humiliation. Just as it does now as my words catch the attention of anyone who can hear, which includes a good number of soldiers thanks to me projecting my voice.

   I plaster a sweet smile on my face and turn to leave when a hand lands on my shoulder aggressively. I feel nails dig into my skin and before I can react, the tall, powerful figure at my side is gone. In an instant, Rowan's hands contain roaring blood red flames that lick at the air. I spin around and watch as Rowan shoves his right hand under Dorane's chin. My brother freezes, his hand still on my shoulder and his chin raised. His eyes flicker down to the flames that threatens to burn his skin.

   "Let go of her right now or I'll melt your face off," Rowan snarls, his eyes cold and dead and his face expressionless. Only I can see the absolute hatred and endless fury behind the wall of nothing in him. Dorane removes his hand slowly, lowering it to his side. He keeps his chin up as I lay a hand on Rowan's back, grabbing his shirt in my fist.

   "Rowan," I say gently, standing on my toes to get as close to his head as I can, "enough. Leave it be." Rowan still doesn't move. I know he's been dreaming of making my brothers, and father, suffer for what they did, but I need him to not. I need him to wait until we get to Shodo and follow our plan. Otherwise, it'll leave Graeweth spinning out of control and we'll have to fight our way out of it here, with no one to hold back my other brothers and the soldiers. Although I'm confident most of the soldiers wouldn't fight against Rowan and I, so long as my father wasn't around to command them. Maybe a few loyal ones however. 

   "Please," I add, needing Rowan to stop. He's so protective, and although incredibly attractive, it's not what I need right now. Rowan doesn't take his eyes off Dorane or dispose of the fire, but he does back away slowly, moving with me into the trees until we can no longer see my brothers. Then he crumbles, all the tenseness releasing and his face completely switching. Rowan turns to me, his hands on my waist, and lets his head fall onto my shoulder.

   He's vulnerable right now, meaning I need to be there for him. I have to help him as he always helps me. Although I've never had any experience with comforting someone or even talking about any emotional topics, I have to try.

   "I love you Rowan," I whisper, leaning my head onto his shoulder as well. "I'm here for you. Always." I don't know what else to say, so I can only hope he understands the deeper meaning of my words. 

   "Thank you," he whispers back, his breath warm against my cold skin. I know he understands what I mean and I relax, letting my body slump onto his.