Chapter 6

Aurae's POV

   "Everest!" I cry, thrashing against the shackles binding me to this stupid wall, while my best-est friend in the world is suffering...because of me. His brilliant sapphire eyes meet mine and I read deep into them He's begging me not to put up a fight, begging with everything he has. It's a shame that I won't give up that easily, no way. Unless they hurt him...then I will drop everything and submit to a life of cruelty and darkness, as I've always imagined my life as anyways.
"Let him go you bastards! If you dare harm him, you'll learn just how ruthless I can be!" I scream, the metal shackles piercing my skin and drawing out more blood. My father shoots my a look, as if to say like you can do any damage.

   "Stop struggling Aurae," he taunts. "It'll do you no good. Besides, I need you alive." Vulen stands in front of me, the guards stiff on either side of me and my brothers off to the side, out of the way, Everest still clutched in Dorane's arms.

   "Let. Everest. Go!" I lunge forward, even though it's not possible for me to even lay a finger on him. Unless I shift. Almost as if he read my mind, he leaned towards me and whispered into my ear.

   "If you shift in front of these guards, I'll have to kill them, and I know you don't want that to happen," he knows exactly how I feel about harming innocent people. With a defiant glare, I make no movement or noise as reply, but he knows I won't shift. Even though that guard is a jerk, none of them deserve to die, especially because of me.

   "Now, as punishment for releasing traitorous prisoners," I scoff at that, "you must interrogate this man. I know he has an ability, but refuses to tell me what it is. If you succeed, no harm will come to Everest or you. If you fail, the leopard shall die a slow, painful death," my father finishes. I know he means good on his word, so I don't argue. Instead, I say nothing, but look over at Everest, who is watching me.

   "Aurae, please don't! You have to stay strong!" He urges me. I know no one else can hear him and I can't give away my power to the guards, so I don't reply.

   "No, I refuse to torture this man for you," I plant my feet firmly on the ground, my shoes squishing underneath my feet, thanks to the blood pooling in my shoes. 

   "Lyklor, please show Aurae what happens when she disobeys," Vulen motions at Lyklor. I watch in terror as my brother twists the mighty sword in his hands and then walks over to Dorane. Everest snarls and lashes at him, but since he's tied up, it does no good. Despite my shrieking, Lyklor's hands stay steady he digs the sword's blade into my leopard's side. Dark red blood rushes out of the deep gash, staining Everest's white fur. Tears well in my eyes and silent sobs escape from my mouth, my shoulders shaking. Everest doesn't even flinch. Blood has never bothered me, but seeing it come out of my leopard sets permanent scars on my heart.

   "No, please, no!" I cry, doing my best to control my sobs; I hate crying, it makes me appear as weak and defenseless.

   "Oh Aurae, now you see what happens," Vulen laughs creully, watching blood drip off Everest and onto the wet ground. "If you don't interrogate the man, Everest will not be allowed to receive any medical treatment, not even a wet cloth."

   "I will interrogate the prisoner," I look my father directly in the eye as I speak, giving in. He nods once and gestures for his sons to follow him out of the dungeon. They're all cowards, not able to handle the sight of someone being tortured, even when it's under their orders. My brothers smirk at me as they leave the dungeon, Everest still in Dorane's filthy arms. I don't look away from his gaze until he is gone, up the staircase.