Chapter 13 The Hunter, The Wolf, and The Pistol

(This chapter is now fully edited, and it has some added parts since I literally forgot that I had a continuation of chap13 on my laptop. So re-read the chapter to be in the know. Sorry for the lateness. An update might come soon, keep your fingers crossed.) 

Leeland stood before the hunter, his tall figure stood two inches higher than Adam's. A lump was swallowed as he waited for the predator to react. He would change to protect himself, but Adam was there and if that hunter pulled the trigger, he's certain that he wouldn't miss.

Kate blue eyes zeroed in on the young man and he rose his pistol to the center of his head. "Explain yourself or you'll meet a very quick death."

He inched back and then bowed his head. "Please don't shoot me. Adam's unconscious now, but he isn't dead and he isn't dying. I need to get him in his bed."

"Move and I'll shoot." he cocked his gun and Leeland said a prayer in his head. "Who are you? And how do you know Adam?"

"He saved me from a Wolf last night. But he wandered outside and something attacked him. N—now, please. I need to clean him up. Are you going to kill me? Or help me?" he rose his brown eyes to meet that of the man. Kate sighed and lowered his weapon.

"You're lucky, Adam is the kind of man that is caring... but he'd also kill me if I harmed you." he stood up straight then walked towards the Wolf. "Let me help you." he bent and took Adam's heavy body from Leeland and heaved him over his back and made his way towards the cabin. Leeland followed the Hunter with caution, his awareness on high alert. The hunter might be nice now, but he didn't hesitate to point a gun at him.

The hunter laid the body of Adam down on the bed and stood back, examined his friend. His body was riddled with red blotches of blood what seemed to have come from bite marks, but he saw none on the skin of the man lying before him. He turned halfway to the boy and pointed the gun at his temple. Wild brown eyes looked back at him. "What really attacked you? Wolves leave bite marks, claw markings—he has none!" his crystal gaze were hard as he scorned the child. "The truth, tell me or you'll regret stepping foot before me."

"It was... The marks heal after seven hours. I found aloe leaves and treated him while he was unconscious, but I was too weak to move. By the time I got up he was healed. Please, don't kill me... I'm just an orphan." he bit his lip as he waited for a reply.

"If he wakes up and confirms your tales, then you'll live to see another day. I'm going to stay in here, make yourself useful and clean up the living room." Kate waited for the boy to walk out of the room, before he pushed the door closed. Leeland walked out then sighed at the mess that was left for him to clean up.

Two hours later Kate walked out to see the young man bringing in freshly cropped lumber for the fire. He dropped them before the stone fireplace and knelt next to it as he set up a fire. The hunter, who had his arms folded over his chest took in the room and the mess that was no longer there, and the young man who he still hadn't a clue about. "Why do you care for Adam so?" his curiosity of this young man was vast.

Leeland gave the hunter his attention sad he sat back on hind legs, a habit he hadn't broken free from. "I owed him, he gave me a warm bed to rest my head, and because of that, I respected him for going so far to save a random orphan from the cold night."

He hummed, not sure if he should be convinced or not. "Did he offer you a bed for the night?"

"He did, he was more than kind, fed me and then gave me a bed. The night of he left for some reason and I hadn't noticed until later. I searched the woods for him, following his trail and found him in a state of pain and semi-consciousness. It took me a long while to find him. I had to take quite some time bringing him back here. He is a heavy man, but my family were cattle and sheep herders."