Chapter 7 Bared Teeth

Adam hadn't seen any flares from his fellow mates and he hadn't heard any activity until now. His eyes were sharp and his ears wide in wait for another sound. Soft panting met his ears and he peeked through the brushes blocking him away from the animal. His eyes widened when he saw it. The wolf wasn't as big as the ones he and his men slew or ran off. It was five times smaller. To him, it was probably a pup.

The hunter clenched his jaw as he observed the wolf. It was pacing back and forth, sniffing the den where a pack was a week ago and whined. Adam found it wiser to leave it be than to interfere but in his backstepping, he slipped on the damp leaves and fell backward. He swore as he fell several feet down the hill, only stopping when he reached out to grab at a tree root that had grown above ground. The hunter had hit his side on a rock when he was falling and held it as he pulled himself up to his knees. "Blasted leaves." he groaned at the pain in his side.

A deep growl echoed through the trees and the hunter froze as he looked towards where he had fallen from. "God no." he tried to stand, but he couldn't without the pain gnawing at him. He huffed out, as he struggled to stand, ignoring the pain. The blood oozed out of his side with every movement he made but the growling was getting closer and he couldn't think of what would happen if he got caught while injured by that werewolf. He knew his side was cut because his hands were warm with a liquid he was certain wasn't rainwater.

~ ~ ~

Lexander had left the cabin as the dawn came upon the forest and thought of having a walk to clear his head of Adam's scent that seems to have stained itself into the very woodwork of his home. His body couldn't handle being surrounded by it any longer for his hunger for the hunter was getting unbearable. He had taken a heavy coat of Adam since he had none and cursed himself for doing so because the hunter's scent was threaded into it. He hadn't needed it as a vampire, but the cold night still managed to have a wicked bite to it. He sighed as he carried on. Not taking on anything as he made his way downhill for no particular reason.

The sun was near it's setting and the moon was readying itself to be at center stage as its bright friend went to sleep. Lexander stopped walking, the hair on his arms lifting up and his eyes darkening as he smelt danger and blood. He didn't hesitate as he sped off towards the danger. He shouldn't get himself worked up, but he had healed almost completely and he hadn't time to think against his instinctual habits. Lexander stopped in a jerking manner when he smelt another scent... werewolf... and blood. Adam's blood.

Adam hadn't moved, the wolf was standing before him but he didn't want to attack. He swore at not being more careful and seethed when his side throbbed. "Easy... I'm not going to hurt you. I was leaving. I promise." The hunter said in his defense. The wolf didn't believe him and took a step forward. He tried to step away, but that only made it angrier, it barked, teeth bared as its hot breath clouded in the cold night.

The werewolf growled and bent in a charging fashion. Adam said a prayer in hopes of the wolf not taking charge to attack him, he could take a pistol to the beasts' head, but it looked young and he didn't want to kill it. A low primal hiss snapped the werewolf off of its trained target and to behind the hunter where the hunter's vampire stood with dark eyes and fangs bared and a menacing aura to his appearance.

"Step away from the hunter, wolf," he spat in a dark vicious tone that shook Adam's being. His voice sounded like it came from the pits of hell itself as he spoke. The wolf barked his reply and as if he could understand, the Vampire nodded and appeared before the injured Adam in the blink of an eye. "Stand down or I'll be forced to shatter your spine and leave you for dead." the wolf whined, seeing that the threat was none to be taken lightly. Adam hissed from behind Lexander and fell to his knee clutching his side. It burnt and he was bleeding too much to stay standing. The Vampire looked back at him. "Adam," he paused, before turning back to the hunter, "why don't you change back... Trust me, this hunter isn't what you think he is. He has a heart." he changed his eyes back to his present soft silver pupils, the werewolf growled softly and bowed as it showed it's agreement to back down. Lexander took the hunter up, lifting him without much of a struggle then turned back to the wolf. "You should turn back now. No need to hide."

It barked and Lexander chuckled, a smirk at his lips. "Very well. Come along."

"What, do you understand him?"

"Yes, he says his fur keeps him warm so he'll change when we're warm."

"Wait... You're not trusting this wolf, are you?" he cried out in pain when he tried to move in the Vampires arms. "Yes I am, and you're in no condition to say otherwise."

"My home isn't a refuge for wild supernatural beast Lexander."

"Well, it is for the time being." he began as the wolf trotted along after him. "What if the hunters see...?"

"They won't. Now hush, you're losing too much blood as it is. Wolfy, why don't you keep up with me. I need to tend to the hunter." the wolf nodded and Lexander took off at a speed that the wolf tried to match with his own supernatural speed.