why do you have to sing?

Start from the beginning

I tore the paper. Whoever it was, they won't get anything from me.

Then somebody tapped me from behind.

It was Shane.

"There's a note for you. Here take this," he whispered low and I reluctantly accepted the note. This took a different handwriting.

'I won't forgive you for what you did to me. I will make everything bad for you.'

I turned behind. Ziara was giving me a gaze of complete daggers. She looked furious and funny.

I winked at her.

Adrian

"Man, there is an audition today at school! It's for the Singer of the Year!"

Barry was telling me as we headed for the Geography class. I almost forgot about the audition today. It was clearly because Serena had me thinking about her, almost every time.

"You have to sign up dude... I heard that the school's going to bring a celebrity singer for the finale. I wish it would be a female..."

"Did you hook up with someone lately?" I asked Barry.

"I don't have the mind to hook up right now. I'm currently engaged in getting the girl I want."

"Who's the lucky one you want so much?"

"Her names Little Miss Unreadable. She was sitting in between us. Remember?"

I froze. Why did the lucky one turn out to be her?

"Clearly man, you can't just make her yours." I stated, guilty.

Barry raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why not? She looks okay for a girlfriend," he stated. I looked away from him.

"Didn't you remember? she is lesbian."

Barry's face turned yellow.
Asshole, she's mine.

Back in the cafeteria, I met Scarlett with her buddy Shane. She was avoiding my gaze the moment I came up to speak to her. Her voice seemed hoarse and cold. Her expression was unreadable but something seemed to bother her.

"What's wrong?" I asked her when Shane went away.

"Nothing." She replied, almost too quickly.

I continued to stare at her.

"Is it me?"

She looked up and gave me a fake smile.

"No, it's not you."

We continued to be silent. Finally the bell rang for the next class.

"Come and meet me in the auditorium in the last period," I told her, "I have something to show you."

She nodded and went away.

Everything was ready for the audition. The auditorium was filling up with students and in fact the whole school seemed to be there. They were either here to sing or to watch their peers sing.