Epilogue

A month has passed since that fateful day, and I have to say, It was a pretty eventful month

A month has passed since that fateful day, and I have to say, It was a pretty eventful month. After Alexander Talbot was brought to jail, and sent to a trial, with the amount of evidences piling up, along with witnesses stepping up to speak out about his wrongdoings, he was pronounced guilty by the court.

Of course, my father was one of those people and thankfully, he wasn't deemed as a whistle-blower by the public. Instead, it made him seem like he was doing the right thing.

That week, it was a scramble for the news reporters to be the first to report these juicy news. After all, Alexander had a reputation of being a 'saint', a humanitarian. When news of his crimes were exposed, there was a huge uproar throughout Serenity, our city, and the neighbouring cities.

The Talbot family, unfortunately, suffered major consequences and they went bankrupt within a few weeks. Jessie and her family suffered from the aftermath, however, they took it well. They didn't fall into a hectic mess, and handled everything with ease, it was as if they expected this to happen someday.

They came prepared.

Alas, Jessie couldn't bear the fact that her family was close to being responsible for the city's downfall. She took it really hard on herself, so much so that she did not want to stay in this city any longer.

"Jean, I'm sorry. I can't take it anymore, I have to get out of the city for awhile."

"Oh, Jessie..."

We were in her room, sitting down on her bed as she spoke softly. Her eyes were swollen, and her hair was an utter mess. There were tissues strewn around her bed, and I pulled her into a hug.

"It's killing me. And just staying here makes me think of the destruction that would have happened, if my grandfather wasn't stopped."

"It's fine, I understand. But...you still have to get your certificate from school, don't you? Remember, graduation?"

Jessie laughed weakly, sniffling. "I'll go to school tomorrow and take it. Staying here any longer will make me go insane."

I released her from her hug, my eyes were watery. "Where do you plan to go?"

"Well...actually. My parents prepared really well, and they bought a house over in Eclipse."

"Oh god, that's like almost a four hours trip from Serenity."

"When I get better, I'll come back."

"It's fine, Jessie. I'll visit you, definitely."

Jessie broke down, sobbing into my arms yet again. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too."

"I'll miss you and your clumsiness, yo-your forgetfulness and--and your dumb moments-"

"Oh shut up, will you."

We giggled and choked on our tears at the same time. Jessie's bed almost turned white from all the tissues littered around her bed.