Chapter 22 - Crisis

We both stood there in utter silence, the alarm blaring away in the background

We both stood there in utter silence, the alarm blaring away in the background. It seems like Kim was too stupefied by our dearest comrades who went and triggered the alarm. She sighed in annoyance, clicking her tongue and proceeded to sigh again, all the while, I could only sympathise with her. It made me wonder how many times have we cooperated together, which honestly, wasn't much.

Looks like we still have much to learn.

"All right, fine, since we have already exposed ourselves, let's go all gung-ho now." Kim seemed incensed and I made a sound of agreement, not wanting to get on her bad side.

"So...what do you mean by gung-ho?"

"We are gonna take the stairs instead of the lift, since we already announced our presence."

"Are you sure you can take all of them if they come charging at us?"

"If it's via the stairs, yes. Or with my powers."

"What?"

"No time to explain, move."

Putting on our disguises quickly, Kim slammed the rooftop door open and strode towards the stairwell door, pushing it open. The door creaked opened loudly, echoing throughout the entire stairwell and I could clearly hear murmurs in the stairwell, which could mean two things.

Office workers or security guards, both equally bad.

The voices were getting closer with each passing second and I glanced at floor number, noticing we were almost at our destination. Descending down hastily, I realised the voices were coming from the floor below us, which was the floor we needed to go to.

"Kim-" I whispered, wanting to warn her.

"Just stay behind me." She hissed at me, obviously knowing they were down there.

"Clear." I heard one of the men saying and crackling sounds came from the walkie-talkie, followed by muffled words that weren't clear enough for me to catch on. We were a few steps away from them now and I could see the man leaning in closer to his walkie-talkie, frowning.

Uhm, shouldn't we be slowing down and trying to sneak past them now?

"What? Could you repea—hey! Who the hell are you?"

There were almost a dozen guards huddled together and Kim dashed past me, leaping into the air and doing a flying kick, aiming it at the guards.

"Eat shit!"

"Holy mother of-" One of the guards said, blanching when he realised her leg was aimed towards them. They scrambled out of the way, alas, it was a little too late and Kim kicked one of them in the chest, making him stagger backwards.

She landed safely on the stairs, watching as the guards that she hit collided with another, and another...and another one, the cycle continuing and eventually, they tumbled down the stairs; every single one of them. I blinked, stunned, my mouth hanging wide open and I could see an amused grin on Kim's lips.