Chapter 26 - The Escape Plan

For a forbidden building, I have to say, it's pristine and clean

For a forbidden building, I have to say, it's pristine and clean. The marbled flooring seemed recently polished, there are people strolling about, either dressed in laboratory coats or suits. Guards were stationed so meticulously, that I could hardly see any gap for anyone to sneak in or out. I could feel their wary eyes on us, and I didn't know whether to feel safe or not.

"Come on, get in." A gruff voice commanded beside me, and I grimaced, reluctant to step into the elevator.

The door remained open for us, none of us willing to take a step into the lift. Nevertheless, the guards assigned to us wasn't patient, and shoved me harshly into the lift.

I stumbled, flailing and almost tripping over empty air. I glared back, infuriated only to see them gently guiding Jessie into the lift.

"Miss Talbot, please. Mr Talbot only wants to ensure your safety."

I gaped openly at the difference in the treatment. In the end, Jessie was coaxed into entering the lift, and I had an impassive look on my face.

"Seriously? For real?" I muttered under my breath and Jessie snickered beside me.

"I'm his granddaughter." She shrugged, her nonchalant tone making me pout. It didn't help that all four of us were squeezing inside the lift, adding further to my annoyance.

"That's just unfair."

"Life is unfair, Jean."

"Ugh."

****************

We were eventually brought to a room, that is probably meant for visitors. The room was well furnished, with one part of the wall being glass panels while the rest of the wall was covered by plain, grey wallpapers.

Paintings of modern art were hung around the room, and furniture with simplistic design decorated the room. The two of us were immediately locked in once we entered the room, and we decided to settle down on the couch after hesitating for quite a while.

"For being hostages, I have to say, this is disconcerting."

"Disconcerting?" Jessie repeated in a questioning manner.

"It's like we are being treated like VIP guests. They even brought us books to read, some snacks and water." I pointed to the various materials that laid on the table, in front of us. Jessie just calmly took one of the books, flipping through it casually.

"My grandfather wants to ensure that I'll stay here like a good, obedient child. Just like you."

I reached forward, snatching the book from Jessie's hands. "This isn't the time to be looking at a book! We need to think of a way to get out!"

Jessie gripped tighter onto the book, nudging her head at the door. "How do we even escape with them here?"

I glanced over, seeing two men dressed in black and white suits, standing guard by the door. They even had the iconic earpieces on them.