Chapter 11: Work, Work, Work

Start from the beginning

On the other side of town, bright neon orange and yellow vests walked around as the burly employees wearing those vests tried to keep busy with some kind of small job.

Each employee of Apex sported the bright color as regulation for safety purposes. With big motorized vehicles such as forklifts and cement mixers galore, it was obvious that the construction site would be a safety hazard.

Handsome men of various ages ranging from eighteen to fifty worked around the yard--tool belts around their waists as they carried drills, screwdrivers, measuring tapes and more.

Some were carrying planks of wood on their broad shoulders while others traveled with shovels and hoes to flatten the cement as it was poured off of the cement truck.

The sole owner of Apex, Shawn, sported a suit as he discussed the plans for the newest law firm building in New York with the owner--a wealthy entrepreneur who was ready to do anything to get as far as he could.

The massive and tall infrastructure was already partially complete and he couldn't wait to get the electric company that he subcontracts in the building to add electrical so they could finish putting drywall up on the walls and putting in the hardwood floors.

Sam was sat atop one of the building's support beams, a harness attached to him to keep him from plummeting to his death, and he was laying metal pans against the steel trusses so that the concrete could be poured for the flooring of the upper floors.

Bradley, on the other hand, stood in the wet cement on the ground floor of the building, smoothing it out and making sure there were no air bubbles. He also had to make sure it was leveled.

The two of them had on their usual work clothes, which just so happened to consist of old, light blue jeans with small holes--to say the jeans were worn a lot would be an understatement--while pairing their jeans with forest green t-shirts.

They also sported the bright orange vests for their safety. The vests were meant to alert the workers of each other's presence--to prevent accidents on the job.

Shawn glanced at his watch, moving the sleeve of his suit jacket upwards just enough for him to see the time clearly. It was finally lunch time. He walked over to the company pickup truck, grabbed the blow horn from the passenger seat and pressed the button.

The loud and annoying blaring of the horn caught everyone's attention as was intended. Work began to crawl to a halt around him as the construction workers stared at their boss. "Take five minutes to get to a point that you can stop and go to lunch! I'll see everyone back here in one hour!" his loud voice boomed around the work site.

The men, and even women, working found places in their work to stop and began walking towards their designated lunch tent. A few of them left the site to go to a restaurant or fast food joint, while others brought their lunch to work and ate there.

Shawn barely cooked on his own anyway, so he preferred to go get something. He had to wait by the company truck for Sam to be lowered to the ground from 30 feet high and then get detached from the harness.

Once the two cousins ran over to join Shawn at the truck, Bradley hopped in the passenger seat as Sam jumped into the back seat.

《》