Bad Reputation

The Lawless Alpha goes to my high school.

The Lawless Alpha is walking towards me.

The Lawless Alpha is freakin' hot. 

The most conflicting of emotions traveled through me. The burning sensation in my scar was somehow being caused by his presence--whether he was inflicting it or not, I wasn't sure--making it feel like my chest was collapsing inward on itself. On the other hand, his physical appearance caused my heart to flutter faster and my cheeks to warm uncontrollably. 

He had black hair and black eyes. His cheek bones were so sharp and well-defined he could blend into any Gucci catalogue easily. He had stubble around his chin which gave me the strange urge to run my fingers through it. "Oh my god, he's coming over here." Rachel Ryder squealed as the Alpha approached the bleachers we were sitting on. 

I clenched my hands into fists at my sides. I had to remind myself that this wasn't just your typical heartthrob, this was the Lawless who had bit Eric. He was responsible for turning Eric into a monster, and now Eric was unfairly paying the price. A surge of energy bubbled inside me. I looked up at the lights overhanging the gym, noticing how they had started to flicker. 

He was walking towards me and I was frozen in place. My eyes trailed down his half-naked body as I fought to keep my focus. Remember what he is. Remember what he did. I kept repeating this over and over to myself, to keep from drooling. 

"Valerie." His voice sent another sharp pain to travel through my scar. I involuntarily jerked forwards, trying my best to hide the glow emitting from my scar from the dozens of my peers watching this interaction. He wasn't stupid enough to shift into his Lawless form in front of everybody, was he? The terrifying thought lingered in my mind as I tried to summon the courage to open my mouth and respond. 

Quinn nudged my leg, encouraging me to say something back to him. "Do I know you?" I tried to sound cool and collected, but my voice quivered when I spoke. He was incredibly intimidating and my hands trembled at my side knowing what he was capable of. 

It was just the other day that I had been attacked by a Lawless in my own home, nearly on the brink of death before Chase finally came to my rescue. Where was Chase now? But more importantly...why did I always rely on him to save me?

"Sure you do." He replied smoothly, his voice like velvet. "I'm Damian. We met at the lacrosse game, remember?" The edges of his lips curled slightly, causing something to twist in my stomach.

"Doesn't ring a bell." I shook my head, doing my best to keep from shaking. "I better go, I think it's almost my turn." I said, getting up from my seat on the bleacher. 

He grabbed my wrist before I could leave, preventing me from moving any further. Leaning into my ear his warm breath blew on my neck as he whispered, "Meet me after class or I'll gut that pretty little blonde friend of yours." He threatened, his black eyes staring directly into mine--leaving me feeling cold and empty inside. 

Too terrified to speak and too helpless to stand up for myself, I simply nodded at his command. With that, he let go of my wrist and I was free--at least for now. 

****

"What's taking you so long?" Quinn rolled her eyes at how slow I was getting dressed. 

The Alpha of the Lawless was waiting for me outside those locker room doors, and I was planning on delaying that encounter as much as I inevitably could.

I pulled my cell from my backpack, quickly texting Chase.

Me: Alpha is here. I'm stuck in the locker room