Chain Breaker

Chase POV. 

The Elders have never called for an emergency meeting of the Protectors before.

I sat on a cold, stone bench with my head in my hands. I was waiting outside of the Council room, anticipating the moment the doors would be opened.

I glanced around the room, trying my best to remain calm and collected. There were five other Protectors who had gathered for the meeting, including Xavier, who I spotted when we made a brief moment of eye-contact across the room. 

The rest of the Protectors consisted of more retirees, and some faces I recognized from training. I scrutinized them, giving them a quick look up and down and wondering to myself: Who were they protecting? They had fresh, confident faces. Clearly, they either haven't met their Enchantress yet, or they were lucky enough to not have any run ins with the Lawless. Whatever the case, I envied them for their cluelessness. 

The Council trained Protectors together in cohorts, which is how Xavier and I got to know each other. In the name of keeping the identity of each Enchantress a secret, they don't encourage Protectors to work together. I had never questioned that idea before, always assuming that Valerie wouldn't need anyone but me--that I'd be enough. Looking around at the faces in the room, before unwillingly landing once again on Xavier, I realized that we had more to gain from being together than apart.

I stood up from where I was sitting, making my way over to where Xavier was standing. "We need to talk." I muttered under my breath. He brushed me off, scoffing in silence. I yanked him by the sleeve, tugging him along with me so that we were further away from the others. "You and I both know what this meeting is about. I need to know that I can trust you won't say a word about Valerie." I said in quick, quiet breaths, my eyes scanning the room as I talked to make sure that no one could overhear.

"She's a dangerous liability." Xavier replied through gritted teeth.

"You know what they'll do to her if they find out." I reminded him, trying not to let my thoughts wander to that dark place.

"Maybe she deserves what's coming to her." 

I bit down my bottom lip, trying to hold myself back from making a scene. The last thing I needed was to draw more attention to us, to make it obvious that we were in involved with this mess. 

"You made a promise to protect her." I reminded him.

"And she chose to protect them in return."

"You can't turn your back on her." 

"Watch me." Xavier said with a shrug, starting to walk away.

I pulled my dagger from my back pocket, pressing it gently against his abdomen. "Xavier," I said slowly. "don't make me hurt you."

Xavier smirked down at me. "You know that little knife of yours won't work."

The large doors of the Council room suddenly swung open, making way for each of us to enter. I pulled my dagger back into my pocket. "The Elders didn't do anything to save Rebecca." I blurted as he started to walk ahead of me. He stiffened slightly, but kept his back turned to me. "You and I both know they could have done more to save her, and they didn't. Remember that before we both lose another person we care about."

Without another word, Xavier continued into the council room. I followed reluctantly, knowing my fate--and Valerie's-- was about to be sealed.

My shoes clicked against the granite tile that covered the ground floor. I took my place in a standing position within a semi circle, facing towards the Elders who sat perched on their thrones behind their individual podiums. Theon, as usual, was prominently placed in the center.