The Longest Night

I sat on the edge of the bed with my head cradled in my hands. There was a pounding on my bedroom door that grew more and more violent with each passing second. 

"Open the door, Valerie." Xavier jiggled my door knob. I thought the knob would've fallen right off by the amount of force he was using to push against the door, but it managed to stay on. He slammed his body against the door, trying to brake it down.

"Leave me alone, Xavier!" I yelled back, not willing to face him--not willing to face anyone. Jacob had left, but his words rang through my head like a nightmare on repeat. A single mission circulated in my mind: I had to rescue Eric. 

Being an Enchantress has already taken so much away from me, I wasn't about to let it take away one of my best friend's too. 

I scrambled towards my closet, discarding clothing into the air as I looked for the perfect outfit to put on. I eventually settled on black leggings and a longs sleeve shirt, tucking my hair into a beanie. A pile of clothes--that I had tossed out of my closet during my mindless rampage--accumulated on the floor of my room.  

If what Jacob had told me was true, I was going to have to leave Bayside in two days....and I sure as hell am not going down without a fight. 

"Valerie, if you don't open this god damn door in the next ten seconds, I'm going to break it down myself!" Xavier threatened. Each blow his fist made against the door made me cringe. 

"Good luck with that!" I laughed to myself, grabbing my backpack as I started to fill it with things I'd need--flashlights, my cellphone-etc. I didn't really have a plan, all I knew was that I couldn't just sit here and do nothing while Eric rotted in a cell. 

"Don't make me call Chase!" Xavier yelled, which caused me to pause. I took a deep breath, imagining how he'd react if he could see me right now. Would he be proud? Would be think I was an idiot? Probably a little bit of both.

"As if you'd actually want him here!" I replied, straining my voice.

"I have him on the phone right now." Xavier shot back. 

"You're bluffing." 

"Am I?" 

I stood in silence, trying to figure out whether Xavier was testing me or not. The silence allowed me to hear the subtle dialing of a phone, and upon hearing that, my eyes shot wide open. I opened my bedroom door, and without even thinking it, I was able to manipulate the phone in Xavier's hands and toss it against the wall. It shattered to pieces, crumbling to the floor. 

"Why the hell are you dressed like that?" Xavier gave me a good look over, standing in the open door way. His face was red with anger. He looked at his newly destroyed phone and added, "You're gonna pay to replace that." 

"Xavier, you are not my Protector, you don't get to tell me what to do." I planted my hands on my hips and straightened my back as I talked to him, trying to appear larger and more intimidating. 

"Does that mean I'm not allowed to care about you?" He narrowed his eyes at me, pushing me backwards as he forced his way into my bedroom. "What's all this?" He gestured to the backpack. 

"You heard what Jacob said," I reminded him. "the Elders have Eric."

Xavier broke into laughter. "What's your grand plan? Do you think you're going to storm into the council room and when you demand to have your best friend back the Elders are just going to hand him over?" He rolled his eyes at me. "C'mon, Val, even I know you're not that stupid."

My hands tightened into fists. "Stop treating me like I'm a little kid." 

"Then stop acting like one!" Xavier yelled into my face, standing only a couple inches from me. I was taken aback by his actions so I fell silent. Xavier took a deep breath of air and sighed, "Eric is a Lawless now. He is not the same person you remember him to be."