Under the Moonlight

"So Will told me that he totally likes me, but then he told Sarah that he likes her too. Then Melissa told me that she heard that Will told Ryan that he doesn't like either of us. So I'm just completely confused!" Quinn let out an exasperated sigh, as she rambled on about things that I used to care about. I could barely follow along with what she was saying, but I was fascinated with how much she cared about the petty drama currently plaguing her. I guess I used to be like that too, but that was  before I was almost killed by a werewolf in my living room. "Helllooo?" Quinn waved her hand in front of the camera on her laptop. We were face timing each other on my phone while I sat in the backyard.

The fresh night air was exactly what I needed. It allowed me to space myself away from Jen--who was home early from the hospital making dinner for the two of us--and finally get the alone time I've been craving. I was wearing a loose-fitting t-shirt that bellowed in the warm night air.  The shirt exposed my bare skin, allowing the claw marks on my arms to be visible. I shuddered, trying not to think about the small, yet visible--no matter how hard Jen tried to clean it--blood stain on the carpet besides the couch. 

That blood stain was part of the reason why I had chosen to sit outside as I waited for dinner. I didn't want to be constantly reminded of what happened to me. 

"Are you even listening to me, Val?" Quinn sighed. Her blonde locks fell in front of her face. She was sitting in her bedroom, which was painted a vibrant yellow--properly matching her bright personality. She hugged a plush pillow to her chest and adjusting the camera on her laptop.

I sat upright, shaking out of my trance. "Sorry, Quinn." I apologized. "I just got a lot on my mind these days." I ran my fingers through the grass, plucking strands from the ground and tossing them in the air. Fireflies flittered around me, lighting up for brief moments as the sky began to darken.

"What's going on with you? You didn't answer any of my texts this weekend." She stated plainly. "I already have to deal with Eric acting all weird lately, I don't need it happening to you too."

"What's happening with Eric?" 

"He's been hanging out a lot with some boys from the lacross team. He leaves early in the morning to 'work out' with them, and doesn't come back till late at night. I'm just worried about him, y'know?" 

"Have you tried talking to him?" I asked. 

"Of course I have." Quinn replied. "But every time I try talking to him, he just ignores me." The sliding glass door that led from the kitchen into the backyard squeaked as someone pushed it open. I turned my head towards the noise, to see Xavier walking towards me. He had a smirk spread across his face and rubbed his hands together excitedly like he was about to share some big news with me. "Kind of like how you're ignoring me right now." Quinn interjected, slightly raising her voice. Xavier made his way into the backyard, wearing tight skinny jeans and a long sleeve flannel over his Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

"I'm sorry." I apologized for the second time, unable to peel my eyes away from Xavier's sultry gaze.

"Why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?" 

Xavier gestured for me to hang up on her. I gave him the middle finger and he chuckled. My heart skipped a beat whenever he looked at me, and I could've sworn my scar was glowing ever so slightly.

"Things are just complicated lately." I told Quinn. Xavier made a gagging gesture with his finger. I couldn't help but smile a little at him in return.

"What could possibly be that complicated that you can't tell me?" Quinn was becoming increasingly annoyed with me. 

"I have to go. Jen's done cooking dinner and needs help setting the table." I said, refusing to acknowledge her previous question. "Can I call you back later?"