A little Fun Never Killed No One

"You are never going to believe this!" Quinn, my best friend, tracked me down between passing periods. I had done my best to avoid her for most of the day, since that seemed to be the best solution to having to keep secrets from her. But Quinn isn't someone you can hide from for long, she always has a way of figuring things out. Her blonde hair bounced around in a high pony and her cheerleading uniform, donning the colors of our school--blue and white, twirled upwards as she walked. Quinn's brown eyes pierced into mine and she scrunched her freckle covered nose at me. When I saw her, immediately, a wave of guilt washed over me. "Rachel's throwing a party tonight. And guess who's not invited?" She smiled so widely I thought her face was going to melt off.

"Um, me?" I guessed, not understanding why she was so excited by this news.

"Exactly!" She clapped her hands together excitedly. Her perkiness can be overwhelming at times, but I've gotten used to it over the years. "You know what that means, right?" She wiggled her eyebrows at me, waiting for me to reply with an answer. "It means that we're totally going!" She finished, too impatient to wait for my response. 

"I thought you said we weren't invited." 

"Even more reason to go!" She grinned. "I've got the whole thing planned." She explained, intertwining her arm with mine and leading me down the hall. "You're going to have to tell Chase to come with, because you know how much Rachel hates seeing you two together."

"About that..." I paused in my tracks. "I sort of broke up with Chase yesterday."

"WHAT?" She slapped her hands to her cheeks in shock. "Why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?" 

"Remember how I told you we were going to the movies?" Quinn nodded. "Well, I caught him hooking up with Rachel when I left to buy popcorn." 

Quinn's mouth curled into a snarl. "Are you kidding me? Who does he think he is? You are a hundred times hotter than Rachel." She rambled on, trying to cheer me up. "I've never liked him anyways." She added. 

"Sorry to ruin your grand plans about crashing Rachel's party." I apologized.

"Are you kidding? This gives us even more reason to crash! Don't you see? We have to go. This could be the perfect revenge." 

"I'm not sure if I'm feeling up for it." I shrugged. We stopped directly in front of my locker so that I could pause and grab my books. 

"Who are you and what have you done with my best friend? You've never turned down a party before." She pointed out plainly, leaning against the locker adjacent to mine. "A little fun has never killed anyone." 

"Are you sure about that?" I laughed. 

"Did someone say 'fun'?" Eric, self-proclaimed "ladies man" and star of the Lacrosse team slid into place besides me. He twirled his crosse in his right hand, while raising his eyebrows at me. Eric was adopted by Quinn's parents from Ethiopia when he was six. His dark skin complimented his Lacrosse uniform, and his buzz cut hair blended well with his green eyes. When we were younger, we used to be the best of friends, but once he grew up--and gained a six pack--he turned into a self-absorbed jerk. "I heard about you and Chase." He sighed, slinging his arm over my shoulder. "I guess that means I can finally have you all to myself."

I rolled my eyes in disgust, pushing him off of me. "Can you please stop hitting on my friends?" Quinn begged.

"I can't help being this good looking." Eric shrugged. "So what's this party that you two were talking about?"

"How about you go bother some freshmen girls? I think I see some over there!" Quinn suggested, pushing him away from us. 

"You have to go!" She told me. "Pretty pretty please? For me?" She fluttered her eyelashes and pouted her glossed lips.