CHAPTER 4

Chapter IV
A Hard-knock Life

                            Lunch at the Mitchell Manor wasn't this silent, well, it wasn't until her mother's own death. After Beverly Mitchell's demise, the home became forever silent, no sign of music, laughter or chattering. It seemed like no one lived there, like cavernous caves at the mountains. Sebastian, once a loving husband and warm father, became cruel cold-hearted, leaving Beca and Stacie to fend for themselves as children. The day her mother died, it didn't feel like it, it felt like she lost both her mother and her father, replaced by a ruthless tyrant who'd never care if she was in danger.

But Beca couldn't bring herself to leave, couldn't bring to tell the authorities of his illegal works. Outside of his home, Sebastian Mitchell was a generous, eloquent, charming business man who's wife died and who's kid was problematic, but when he's behind closed doors, his halo crown turns into sharpened devil horns as he leads his army of men to cause chaos and mischief around the whole state. If she wasn't tied to this wrong doings, she'd put her father to jail immediately.

Like she said, lunch was never this silent and uncomfortable when her mother was still alive, it was filled with chatter and playful banter between herself and her mother, her father would groan in annoyance but would grow silent when Beverly throws him a glare and Beca would giggle. The soft smile of her father will never appear now, the warm look in his eyes will never direct to her anymore.

They ate there in silence, instead of her mother, Stacie sat across from her, constantly giving her a look, silently asking her where she disappeared the night before, but every time she catches her friends eyes, she'd return it to her plate.

They weren't alone in the table, no. In the table with them are Beca's long time friends and Sebastian's certified minions. On her left sat Sara Lance, angrily cutting her steak as she seem to mumble profanities under her breath. Across from the feisty blonde was Luke Stroma, a muscular guy who had been working for her father since he was five and to his right was Benjamin Applebum, the only person in the room who knows where she was last night.

She arrived that morning feeling mildly satisfied, the piece of paper burning a hole on her jeans back pocket as she made her way to the lounge where Sara, Luke and Benji waited for her to talk about the stock exchange that would happen later that afternoon. She couldn't focus though, Chloe Beale's hunting lips and deep soulful eyes claiming every part of her brain as she sat there, holding her glass of whiskey.

"Sara," Her father's deep voice rang throughout the silent room, the guards by the window barely snapping to their senses as he called out for the blonde's attention,"Whatever did the stake do to you?" He addressed her angry cutting, putting his cutlery down.

The girl in question sigh out her frustration, turning to Sebastian as she answered,"Nothing, Sir... Just a rough night, last night." She told him, picking a piece of her baby carrot.

Sebastian was about to tell her something when angry shouting and the sound of multiple heavy boots and heels rumbled the floor at the other side of the large mahogany door leading to the dining room. It took their whole attention away from their food and towards the newly opened doors, dozens of angry, deranged and arguing adults entered the room, holding a piece of paper was Fredric Mitchell.

The side of her father's family was broad and sometimes, Beca couldn't keep count. Fredric Mitchell was Sebastian's second youngest brother, holding the piece of paper while arguing with his own wife.

"Sebastian! Look at this! This is unacceptable! Blasphemy!" He shouted as he went straight to his older brother.

"Can't this wait until we finish lunch." Beca grumbled at where she sat, earning a couple of overly dramatic gasp from other family members,"Oh don't be so dramatic, it's impolite to disrupt people who are having their meal peacefully."