38

"It still hasn't rained?" Duskpaw asked from the mouth of the barn. It was just after dawn and the clouds above above glided idly by, grey and heavy, but despite the suffocating scent of rain, it had yet to even sprinkle.

  Frostcloud cast a glance to Smudge, who seemed pleased with the notion the Pinecats would stay another day.

  "We can't keep waiting for the storm." Buckheart said, "Whitestar's already expecting us in five days."

  Frostcloud's heart lurched and the breeze ruffled her fur. Buckheart was right, as much as it hurt to admit. She had recovered from the trip here, and there was no reason to stay- aside for her own desire to be with Smudge.

  She lowered her gaze again to the tom, "We can't keep waiting."

  Smudge gave a gentle dip of his head, though his yellow eyes seemed to lose their shine. "Eat before you leave, at least." Bella said from behind.

  Quietly, the cats retreated deeper into the barn. "I'll catch you something." Smudge said to Frostcloud before stalking into the hay.

  "I bet you're ready to see Sunfur and  Doepaw again." Buckheart said to his apprentice.

  "Are you ready to lead us?" Frostcloud asked him, trying to sound happier than she felt.

  Duskpaw shifted the weight on his feet nervously, "I don't know."

  "You'll do great." Frostcloud encouraged.

  Smudge returned with a plump mouse in his jaws, setting it down at the she-cats paws. Frostcloud cast a wary glance to her Clanmates, then picking up the mouse she snaked her way out of earshot. Smudge followed, and after they settled, she gave him a look that asked her question for her.

  "I can't go with you." Smudge confessed, "I can't. I can't give up my independence."

  "You wouldn't-" Frostcloud started to explain, but the sad look in Smudge's eye only told her his mind was set.

  Frostcloud's heart felt like it stopped beating, but she did what she could to choke down her mouse. As disinterested in the meal as she was now, she knew she would need her strength for the journey. "I'll miss you." She said to the tom when she was done.

  "I'll miss you too." Smudge confessed quietly, pressing his nose into Frostcloud cheek. She had never loved another cat before, not like this. And it felt like a claw-swipe to her heart that she had to leave him.

  Why couldn't he be Clanborn?

  Frostcloud spotted Buckheart and Duskpaw wrapping up their own meals. They would want to leave soon, she knew, and so she rose to her paws.

  She and Smudge padded towards the Pinecats. "Are you ready?" She asked with a strain in her voice.

  "Ready." Buckheart and Duskpaw answered at the same time. Buckheart turned to the barncats, who sat sharing tongues just a fox-length away, "Thank you for letting us stay here." He said to them.

  "Not at all." Tequila purred.

  "Thank you for bringing back Bailey." Tarmac added.

  "Of course." Buckheart nodded.

  "Goodbye, Smudge." Frostcloud said quietly to the black-and-white tom.

  "Goodbye, Frostcloud." He returned gently, his voice as soft as his yellow eyes.

  "If you ever change your mind," She started, some form of hope welling in her chest, "go five days down Monster- the- the road. When it turns though, keep going forward. Two days into the forest and you'll reach PineClan."