21

Eight days after the attack, Whitestar, Crowfur, Dawnheart, Frostcloud, Mosspaw, Leafear, Buckheart, and Needlepelt sat on the edge of the ravine of The Oak, peering down the slope to find ValleyClan and StoneClan cats talking amongst themselves. Tonight was the full moon: the Gathering. Frostcloud's paws itched in antipation.

  My first Gathering as a warrior! She thought to herself, beaming.

  "I don't feel good about bringing such a large patrol." Frostcloud could hear Crowfur murmur.

  "Cricketlegs, Warmheart, Sunfur, Littlepaw, and Riverpelt are strong cats. They'll be enough to protect the camp while we're away." Whitestar replied, studying the cats below with his green eyes. "We need to show MarshClan we are strong and there are many of us."

  Crowfur flattened his ears slightly. "I wouldn't put it past those flea-bitten Marshcats to launch an attack on our camp while we're gone. They've done it  before."

  Mosspaw approached Crowfur, resting her fluffy tail on his back, "Not even those intruders are mouse-brained enough to attack on a full moon. Crookednose would stop them, every medicine cat knows not to upset StarClan."

  Crowfur nodded lightly at his apprentices comforting words, "Maybe you're right." He muttered, then with a flash in eyes, "But you're young and ignorant, your generation has only seen PineClan grow. You haven't seen the horrors cats are capable of when they're hungry and scared. Let's make tonight quick." He shot a glance at Whitestar, "Five cats is not enough to guard a camp full of kits."

¤¤¤

  Frostcloud and Mosspaw sat with Chickpaw and Softpaw, and Buckheart padded towards the group with Leafear by his side.

  "You've grown so much since I've last seen you moons ago, Buckpaw." Softpaw purred when Buckheart got close.

  He dipped his head gently in thanks, while Leafear boasted by his side, "It's Buckheart now."

  Chickpaw's ears flicked, "PineClan's named two warriors?"

  Leafear stared at Frostcloud with slit eyes, "One may have been named early." She said with a tone that sounded agitated.

  "Frostcloud earned her name saving-" Mosspaw started. It sounded like she was talking to the Valleycats, but she stared at Leafear as she spoke.

  "-Mosspaw will earn her name soon too, I'm sure." Frostcloud interrupted awkwardly.

  Softpaw twitched her whiskers in amusement. "I wasn't sure if you talked."

  Frostcloud's pelt suddenly felt hot. She didn't mean to be so quiet at Gatherings, but she was always more focused in on her surroundings than what she wanted to say.

  Frostcloud was about to comment, but the musky smell of MarshClan fell over her, and she turned her head to find Halfstar leading his patrol down the slope. Right away, he made his way to The Oak with the other leaders. His Clanmates melted into the crowd of cats. Two of which, the brindle tom and the blue she-cat, Frostcloud recognised from the battle.

  The air around Frostcloud suddenly felt thick with tension. How would the MarshClan cats behave, knowing they've slithered into another Clans territory? Attacked cats in their own home?

  Frostcloud has always loved her Clan. Her heart swelled in pride when she brought her Clanmates prey, she filled their bellies. She cared deeply for her PineClan, but never before had she feared the other Clans.

  There was never a reason to- there was enough prey in all territories, so cats stayed within their own borders. But firsthand, Frostcloud had witnessed a sneaky group of cats stray into her territory, make false accusations, and shed PineClan blood.